a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

I need a huuuuuuge translation favor...

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Comazon
Been Around a Bit

I need a huuuuuuge translation favor...

Postby Comazon » December 22nd, 2006 11:38 pm

I'm going to Japan in 4 days, and plan on staying at a Japanese family's house near the end of my month-long trip. They wanted to tell me some things and ask a few questions (via email), but unfortunately I can only read hiragana and katakana atm. Even if I COULD read the kanji, I probably wouldn't understand it. :oops:

Can someone PLEASE be so insanely kind enough to translate this for me? There's 2 parts.

Here's the first one:

こんにちは。日本語でメ-ルします。当日は、出国ゲ-トの出口の所で待っています。

もし見つからなければ、私の携帯電話に電話してください。XXX-XXXX-XXXXです。pm5:00

にいます。楽しみにしてます。それから パソコンの調子が悪いので次回から携帯電話のメ

-ルに入れてください。sakura

And here's the second:

それから 日本に来たらどこにいきたいですか ?メ-ルしてください。私の子供の小学校に

も高校にも連れて行こうと思っています。先生には許可をもらっています。ただ28日から10

日間北海道の私の家に行きます。その間どうしますか?一緒に来ても好いです。でも雪が

降っているので寒いです。1月7日以降なら行きたい所にどこでも連れて行きます。

東京の私の家に泊まるのは、いつ?あと食べたい物もメ-ルしてください。sakura

I know I'm asking for a lot here, but this is really important for my trip. PLEASE help.

*Begging on hands and knees*
Last edited by Comazon on December 23rd, 2006 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

spinozza
Been Around a Bit

Postby spinozza » December 23rd, 2006 2:10 am

Here you go man. I'm pretty sure this is correct.

こんにちは。日本語でメ-ルします。当日は、出国ゲ-トの出口の所で待っています。 もし見つからなければ、私の携帯電話に電話してください。XXX-XXXX-XXXXです。pm5:00 にいます。楽しみにしてます。それから パソコンの調子が悪いので次回から携帯電話のメ
-ルに入れてください。Sakura

Hello. I’m writing this email in Japanese. As for your arrival day, I will be waiting at the seats in the departure exit place. If we cannot find each other, please call my cell phone number. It is xxx-xxxx-xxxx. I’ll be there at 5 pm. It will be a pleasure. Also, because my laptop computer is in bad condition, please use the text messaging on the cell phone. Sakura
それから 日本に来たらどこにいきたいですか ?メ-ルしてください。私の子供の小学校に も高校にも連れて行こうと思っています。先生には許可をもらっています。ただ28日から10 日間北海道の私の家に行きます。その間どうしますか?一緒に来ても好いです。でも雪が 降っているので寒いです。1月7日以降なら行きたい所にどこでも連れて行きます。 東京の私の家に泊まるのは、いつ?あと食べたい物もメ-ルしてください。Sakura

If you came to Japan, where would you want to go? Please write me an email. I think I will take you along to my kids primary school and high school. I have permission from the teacher. I will only go from 10th to 28th to my house in Hokkaido. How is this time period? It’s ok if we come together, but it will be cold because it will be snowing. If you want to go anywhere after January 7th, I can take you along to any place. When do you want to stay at my place in Tokyo? Please email me regarding what you want to eat. Sakura

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Comazon
Been Around a Bit

Postby Comazon » December 23rd, 2006 2:42 am

You have saved me!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Edit:

Wait a minute...

Is she asking me when I can stay at her house in Tokyo, even though she's going to be available for only 3 days (1/7-1/10)? :?: I go home on 1/27.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Note: I'm not doubting the translation, I just find the original e-mail confusing.

spinozza
Been Around a Bit

Postby spinozza » December 23rd, 2006 3:31 am

I'm about 99% sure everything I translated is correct. I translated it myself, then asked my Japanese friend to proofread my translation, and she had no corrections as to what I translated. So I posted it for you.

If you find the content confusing then you would want to contact her and clarify. I do not know what your schedules are, you just wanted her text translated. lol

Comazon
Been Around a Bit

Postby Comazon » December 23rd, 2006 3:40 am

Comazon wrote:Note: I'm not doubting the translation, I just find the original e-mail confusing.

I wrote that because I WASN'T doubting your translation, and I specifically wrote that to try to avoid confusion (looks like I failed).

I really do appreciate what you did, and as I said earlier do NOT doubt your translation in the slightest. I was just confused about the contents and wondering if it made sense to anyone else. It had nothing to do with your translation.

Thanks again.

spinozza
Been Around a Bit

Postby spinozza » December 23rd, 2006 3:46 am

I know I read the part about you not doubting the translation.

But I wrote that because we are not able to figure out your schedule for you. Yes, it may be confusing to me as well. Maybe she made a mistake and thought you were going to be there at different times, etc.... who knows.. no one can figure it out. You have more information than any of us do.

Just send her an email and ask her to clarify if you are unsure. You now have the content of what she said. Since she is writing to you in Japanese, I presume she thinks you understand some right? It would be nice to try and reply to her in Japanese, even if you use just Hiragana and Katakana. Unless she is studying English also and wants to practice, then you could reply in English.

I just know that some of my Japanese friends tell me sometimes that they want to speak in English rather than Japanese all the time. heh.

Anyway, i think i am off topic now. Good luck with figuring out everything.

annie
Expert on Something

Re: I need a huuuuuuge translation favor...

Postby annie » December 23rd, 2006 4:12 am

Comazon wrote:
ただ28日から10日間北海道の私の家に行きます。その間どうしますか?一緒に来ても好いです。でも雪が降っているので寒いです。1月7日以降なら行きたい所にどこでも連れて行きます。東京の私の家に泊まるのは、いつ?あと食べたい物もメ-ルしてください。sakura

I know I'm asking for a lot here, but this is really important for my trip. PLEASE help.
*Begging on hands and knees*

Your friend will be in Hokkaido for 10 days, from the 28th. So she'll be back in Tokyo on the 7th. So where do you want to go after the 7th? and when do you want to stay at her house in Tokyo?

And send e-mail to her keitai, which should be the address that the 2nd message came from.

Comazon
Been Around a Bit

Postby Comazon » December 23rd, 2006 4:32 am

^Yes! That is why I asked if it makes sense to anyone! Thank you sooo much!

Yay! It all makes sense now!

Now all I have to do is write a reply in Japanese... ^_^;;
(I think I can write one well enough to get my point across)

In any case, a huge thanks to both of you for your help!

spinozza
Been Around a Bit

Postby spinozza » December 23rd, 2006 5:55 am

Well. I guess my friend who has lived all her life in Japan until 3 months ago cannot read Japanese or she did not read what I wrote very carefully.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 23rd, 2006 7:09 am

spinozza wrote:Well. I guess my friend who has lived all her life in Japan until 3 months ago cannot read Japanese or she did not read what I wrote very carefully.

I'm guessing the latter, because Annie's translation about the 10-day thing is exactly right.

ただ="but" (not "only") in this case, and she's asking how Comazon's going to handle himself during the time she's in Hokkaido (i.e where Comazon will be staying since she won't be home). She'll be in Hokkaido for 10 days from Dec. 28th (to Jan. 6th).

Also, nobody mentioned it, but I'm guessing that the offer to go to Hokkaido with her is one that she expects/hopes you'll say "no" to, and was merely a courtesy. That's why she said it will be cold. So I wouldn't take her up on it. Of course, I might be reading too much into it.

Comazon
Been Around a Bit

Postby Comazon » December 23rd, 2006 9:15 am

I think you're exactly right, and not reading into it too much at all. I do indeed plan on turning it down. Thanks for advice!

rankaku
New in Town

Postby rankaku » December 23rd, 2006 5:27 pm

man cant imagine how to translate that!
seems quite impossible to learn for me hahaha
atleast it will take a damn long time !
right?

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”