Or sign up using Facebook

Beginner question about Kanji

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

vtombilla
New in Town

Beginner question about Kanji

Postby vtombilla » December 18th, 2006 8:34 pm

Hello all,
This is my first post, so sorry if I'm not posting it in the right place... :wink:
I've been studying Japanese for a couple of months but I haven't learnt any Kanji yet, just hiragana/katakana.
I was trying to memorize some kanji now, using the Kanji List but I have no idea about how to read them! And... what are kunyomi and onyomi? If anybody could give me any hint about this I'd be more than grateful!!!
Arigatou gozaimasu!
Vane

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Beginner question about Kanji

Postby Bueller_007 » December 19th, 2006 1:02 am

vtombilla wrote:Hello all,
This is my first post, so sorry if I'm not posting it in the right place... :wink:
I've been studying Japanese for a couple of months but I haven't learnt any Kanji yet, just hiragana/katakana.
I was trying to memorize some kanji now, using the Kanji List but I have no idea about how to read them! And... what are kunyomi and onyomi? If anybody could give me any hint about this I'd be more than grateful!!!
Arigatou gozaimasu!
Vane

On'yomi = readings based on the original Chinese pronunciation (in theory)
Kun'yomi = Japanese pronunciation (often words that existed prior to the import of kanji, but to which kanji was applied because the meanings were the same)

Generally, kun'yomi are used in standalone words, on'yomi are used in compounds, and the two are never used together, but there are numerous exceptions to all of these "rules".

Try a search of the forum. This has been explained a few times elsewhere.
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”