a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Beginner question

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

chr0nik
New in Town

Beginner question

Postby chr0nik » December 14th, 2006 8:13 pm

Hi everybody, I'm new here and in learning Japanese. I know that many people may have asked this but it's been going through my head, I just want to know how did you start learning the language? I mean what were the steps you took because I already know the Hana but I dunno where to go from there... whether to start learning the grade 1 Kanji or start learning grammer and vocab, etc...

I appreciate the help,

gio.

Jackleit
New in Town

Postby Jackleit » December 14th, 2006 10:49 pm

I think you have to start with some basic vocabulary and grammar. I would just start with the beginner lessons here, and study the vocabulary and grammar as you go along. You could either learn the kanji that correspond with the beginner lessons, or study them separately. I picked up kanji using Heisig's book (see other references in the forum). But kanji's not much fun if you don't know how to use it in a sentence.

がんばってください

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
theresachan
Been Around a Bit

Postby theresachan » December 15th, 2006 6:25 am

I'd start with grammar. When you learn grammar, you'll pick up vocab along the way. As you advance, you'll learn kanji from vocab. It's easier to learn vocab when there is context.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 15th, 2006 10:05 am

i think there are a lot of good reasons to start out with a textbook. it gives you a framework. it doesn't really matter what textbook... they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

you need to learn vocab and grammar together. at the beginning stages, neither is more important than the other. they co-exist. vocab is easier to learn and easier to drill though. label everything in your house if you want some place to start.

in my opinion, learning by grade level isn't the best way for us foreigners to learn kanji (unless you're high school aged or younger, then i suppose it's okay). i'll spare you my reasoning, unless someone is interested.

Instead, I think it's good to learn the kanji for words as you first learn the word. Yes, it's impractical to learn the new kanji for every new word, but i think it helps you to remember the vocabulary if you can remember the kanji as well... it's like looking at the whole puzzle, rather than all the pieces scattered on the table.

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » December 17th, 2006 1:04 am

unless someone is interested.

Go for it. :)

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 18th, 2006 3:19 pm

Go for it.

If you learn the kanji in grade order you'll be learning a lot of kanji like:

1st grade- grass, insect, bamboo, string/thread.
2nd grade- fur/hair, boulder, bow (for shooting arrows), sword.

I rarely read or write about these things. Sure you might encounter some of these words and you might want to use their kanji. but maybe you'd prefer to discuss history (grade 4), English ( a grade 4 and a grade 2), North Korea (has one grade 8), S. Korea (un-graded), going to the onsen (sen is grade 6). etc.

I just find that the vocabulary at the early levels isn't all that meaningful for me. Though definitely you want to learn the thread kanji and the bamboo kanji, since they're both radicals. I don't know of any textbooks that teach the kanji in grade order.

If you're younger than h.s. you're more likely to discuss bugs and rocks than nuclear proliferation in Korea. Though, I did have a class of 5th and 6th graders asking me where Kitachosen was on the map. (I'd forgotten the word for N. Korea, so they changed the sentence to the place where the bad people with bombs live).

But, you get the point?

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”