a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Polysyllabic on-yomi

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jmignot
Been Around a Bit

Polysyllabic on-yomi

Postby jmignot » November 30th, 2006 8:35 pm

I remember reading somewhere that, in Chinese, kanji are pronounced as a single syllable.
Since on-yomi are supposedly the "Chinese" pronunciations of kanji, has anybody got an idea of where polysyllabic on-yomi, such as ミャク (for 脈) might come from ?
Is this just a phonetic change resulting from how the Japanese were able to pronounce Chinese sounds? According to the kanjidict Web site, this particular character was
"mo4", "mai4" in Mandarin (numbers denote tones, I guess…)
"maeg" in Korean,
so it might make sense (the Korean has already got a final consonant!)
Are there any known systematics of such effects?

Jean-Michel

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Polysyllabic on-yomi

Postby Bueller_007 » December 1st, 2006 12:02 am

jmignot wrote:I remember reading somewhere that, in Chinese, kanji are pronounced as a single syllable.
Since on-yomi are supposedly the "Chinese" pronunciations of kanji, has anybody got an idea of where polysyllabic on-yomi, such as ミャク (for 脈) might come from ?
Is this just a phonetic change resulting from how the Japanese were able to pronounce Chinese sounds? According to the kanjidict Web site, this particular character was
"mo4", "mai4" in Mandarin (numbers denote tones, I guess…)
"maeg" in Korean,
so it might make sense (the Korean has already got a final consonant!)
Are there any known systematics of such effects?

Jean-Michel

I translated this Wikipedia page from Japanese to English a while back:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go-on

It doesn't specifically make mention of the monosyllabic->polysyllabic shift in the original Japanese article, but it does mention that a number of sounds were imported from ancient Korea (Baekje), along with Buddhism.

So whether or not that applies in your case depends on whether or not the polysyllabic on'yomis are classified as "go-on" or not.

Also, a quick search of Wikipedia turned up this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entering_tone

That doesn't seem to apply in the case of 脈 though...

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
jmignot
Been Around a Bit

Postby jmignot » December 1st, 2006 7:40 am

Bueller_007 wrote:Also, a quick search of Wikipedia turned up this article:

Thanks Bueller-san. I had never heard about that "entering tone" in Middle Chinese, which seems to give the clue to the whole phonetic process. Very interesting indeed. Wikipedia is invaluable…

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 1st, 2006 8:38 am

jmignot wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:Also, a quick search of Wikipedia turned up this article:

Thanks Bueller-san. I had never heard about that "entering tone" in Middle Chinese, which seems to give the clue to the whole phonetic process. Very interesting indeed. Wikipedia is invaluable…

Definitely.

quizzieness
New in Town

Postby quizzieness » December 2nd, 2006 7:10 am

Hi i've been listening to japanesepod101 podcasts for a verrry long time now but this is my first post XD
Anyway, I have noticed during my kanji studies that the onyomi is VERY similar to cantonese (which is my native language). 脈 is pronounced somewhat like "muck" in cantonese and this type of similarity has helped me so much when learning (I usually only focus on learning the kunyomi of a kanji!). Even before I learned a kanji, I could often guess the readings of some 熟語 and of course, know the meaning as well =D.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 3rd, 2006 8:11 am

quizzieness wrote:Hi i've been listening to japanesepod101 podcasts for a verrry long time now but this is my first post XD
Anyway, I have noticed during my kanji studies that the onyomi is VERY similar to cantonese (which is my native language). 脈 is pronounced somewhat like "muck" in cantonese and this type of similarity has helped me so much when learning (I usually only focus on learning the kunyomi of a kanji!). Even before I learned a kanji, I could often guess the readings of some 熟語 and of course, know the meaning as well =D.

Thanks for that.

I actually noticed there was some similarity between Cantonese and Japanese when I studied it for a bit before I went to Hong Kong, but of course, I never got as far as learning the readings for kanji like 脈 :? .

Kanji readings got adopted from all over the shop, so it's not surprising that some of them came from Cantonese. Looks like you've solved the 脈 issue.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”