Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Help douzo, I am newbie, having trouble with a few words..

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

spidey7519
New in Town

Help douzo, I am newbie, having trouble with a few words..

Postby spidey7519 » November 30th, 2006 4:22 pm

I listened to the pod cast and seems certain parts are skipped over when said fast.

Example:
kochirakoso. When said fast I do not hear the "ra" part. As when they break it down in the pod cast she sounds like she is saying the "ra" with more of a "dah" sound than a la sound. Not sure if I have this figured out correctly. If someone could compare the sounds to some english words this may help me.

Another word is, karera. Again I hear the "ra" in this sort of sounds like la but the L is so short in it. Other than that these cast are great. I am picking up stuff very fast.
Please hurry I'm on a seven day trial before I have to buy.

roquesdoodle
New in Town

Re: Help douzo, I am newbie, having trouble with a few word

Postby roquesdoodle » November 30th, 2006 8:01 pm

spidey7519 wrote:I listened to the pod cast and seems certain parts are skipped over when said fast.

Example:
kochirakoso. When said fast I do not hear the "ra" part. As when they break it down in the pod cast she sounds like she is saying the "ra" with more of a "dah" sound than a la sound. Not sure if I have this figured out correctly. If someone could compare the sounds to some english words this may help me.

Another word is, karera. Again I hear the "ra" in this sort of sounds like la but the L is so short in it. Other than that these cast are great. I am picking up stuff very fast.
Please hurry I'm on a seven day trial before I have to buy.

I'm a newbie myself but I'll try to explain what I've been able to understand since I began studying several months ago (please take anything that I say with a grain of salt).

The Japanese language does not have the "r" and "l" sounds that English has. Those sounds simply do not exist in Japanese the same way as they do in many Western languages. The Japanese pronunciation is actually somewhere in between those two sounds. This is why it is so difficult for native Japanese speakers to pronounce "r" and "l" when speaking English (and why non-native Japanese speakers have such difficulty properly pronouncing "ro," "ra," "fu," etc.).

Quite often in the podcasts, the "r" sound in a word will sound like a Western "d" when used at normal speed, but when broken down it sounds more like an "l" or an "r." (Keep in mind that it is quite possible that many native English speakers might have difficulty in hearing the subtle differences in proper pronunciation.)

It's helpful to understand that the Japanese language does not have an alphabet, but a syllabary. The romaji (spelling of Japanese words with the Western alphabet) is just the closest approximation to the proper pronunciation. That's why learning the kana is very helpful. When we (native-English speakers) see any word written with the Western alphabet, our brains automatically apply the rules of the English language to that word, not only in pronunciation but also on which syllable to place the accent. That's only natural. Our brains are wired to interpret things in a familiar way. This can make things difficult at first. But once you get used to the idea that the romaji is really just an approximation, your brain will adjust and it will help you pick up the proper pronucniations more quickly.

As with anything, the more you listen and study, the easier and more recognizable it will all become.

I hope this helps. And again, grain of salt. I am in no way an authority, just sharing my own thoughts.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
spidey7519
New in Town

Postby spidey7519 » December 1st, 2006 4:19 pm

What you said about the r and L makes sense. I could hear it coming out differently than when I broke it down. So to me it would seem they would want to address that. I thought I was going crazy lol. I'll stick with what it sounds like fast. I'm doing pretty good so far things are sticking. Its going to be hard though. Thanks for the help!!

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: Help douzo, I am newbie, having trouble with a few word

Postby Jason » December 1st, 2006 4:51 pm

roquesdoodle wrote:I hope this helps. And again, grain of salt. I am in no way an authority, just sharing my own thoughts.

No salt needed here. You're right. :)
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”