Or sign up using Facebook

Flashcard learning problem

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

d_albrodt_513924
New in Town

Flashcard learning problem

Postby d_albrodt_513924 » November 16th, 2016 8:54 am

Hi,
I have a little trouble with learning with the flashcards. Sometimes there is neither an English expression nor an image, e.g. 袴 - the correct answer on the flashcard is "はかま hakama". Now I still do not know what hakama is. Same with 千歳飴 - ちとせあめ Chitose Ame. Or 焼き鳥 - やきとり yakitori; 牛丼 - ぎゅうどん gyuudon; おでん (noun) - おでん oden. I understand that some of the words are food, but I have no idea what kind of food which makes it difficult to learn them. They do not mean anything to me. In order to help me learn these words it would be wonderful to have an explanation.

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: Flashcard learning problem

Postby mmmason8967 » November 24th, 2016 6:17 pm

The words you've listed are a bit like sushi or karaoke or geisha: they don't have an English equivalent. Sometimes it's because we just use the Japanese word (as with sushi or karaoke) and sometimes it's because the word simply never comes up in English conversation (as with 千歳飴, chitoseame).

You can get a description of what the word means by using an online dictionary like http://jisho.org. For example, 千歳飴 is described as "red and white candy stick sold at children's festivals". You can also paste the word into Google and look at the images to find out what 千歳飴 looks like.

マイケル

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Flashcard learning problem

Postby community.japanese » November 29th, 2016 6:13 am

m san,
Konnichiwa.
Thank you for your question.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us.

マイケルさん、
こんにちは。
為になるお答えをどうもありがとうございます。

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”