Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Can you combining と言う with と思う in one sentences ?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

johanrift8358
New in Town

Can you combining と言う with と思う in one sentences ?

Postby johanrift8358 » August 6th, 2015 9:39 pm

Hey there! :)

There is something i have wondering all the time and i can't get it off, so i'm posting it here and hops i will get some good explanation :D

と思う:
明日は雪になると思う (I believe it will snow tomorrow)

言う:
母親は言いました (Said his mother)

I'm not good to write Japanese sentences yet, so this example is coming from jisho :wink:

I have learn how to say what other have said with 言う, and learned how to say if i thinking to doing something と思う.
But if i want to say like this:

I thought my mother said that she believed it will snow tomorrow

This is just a example, if that is English grammar error then sorry =)
I haven't heard or read that example in English ether, so i don't know if that is right,
but is sounds perfect in Swedish xD
I don't know if Japanese use both this grammar so often in one sentences,
maybe there is better sentence to explain what you believed what someone did say to you but you maybe misheard it ?.

Sorry, my English is not perfect, but i hop you understand what i'm trying to say :lol:

jim.schuler
Established Presence

Re: Can you combining と言う with と思う in one sentences ?

Postby jim.schuler » August 6th, 2015 11:10 pm

You're English is pretty good. "I thought my mother said that she believed it will snow tomorrow" is a perfectly valid sentence and you will find similar spoken in English.

I have very little experience with Japanese, so forgive me, but I'm going to give an attempt at your sentence.

Let's start with the easy part...

It will snow tomorrow:
Ashita ni kousetsu suru.

In your first sentence, the は particle for 明日 makes me think that tomorrow is the one that thinks, when you are the one thinking. For that reason, I'd associate が with 明日 instead, as tomorrow isn't the topic of discussion, but rather what you think.

I don't think 雪になる is correct. になる I believe is used to join NA-adjectives to suru, not nouns. If you want "to do snow," I think kousetsu suru is the only option available.

EDIT:
First, I'm an idiot for confusing naru with suru. Though I don't think "become snow" makes much sense.

Second, I found the following while researching something else--Yuki ga takusan furimashita./"A lot of snow fell from the sky."--used for "It snowed a lot." Furu would be the verb of choice for your original sentence rather than naru. (I'd keep suru with kousetsu, however). /EDIT

My mother believes:
Haha wa shinjiru/shinzuru

I'm fairly certain between shinjiru and shinzuru, one of these is transitive and the other is intransitive, I just have no idea which is which, and in this case I honestly don't have much of an idea as to what would be appropriate in this case (I think intransitive, as she isn't believing in something). I'm using は here, but in the full sentence, as the mother still isn't the topic of discussion, it'll be が.

My mother believed it would snow tomorrow:
Haha wa ashita ni kousetsu suru no ga shinjita

Here we nominalize the entire ashita ni kousetsu suru clause with the addition of no.

My mother said she believed it would snow tomorrow:
Haha wa ashita ni kousetsu suru no ga shinjita to itta.

と is used to mark the end of a quotation, so we can pair it with iu and come up with "My mother said 'I believed it would snow tomorrow.'" That sounds a bit strange to me, so I would go with Haha wa ashita ni kousetsu suru no ga shinjiru to itta.

I thought my mother said she believed it would snow tomorrow:
Haha ga ashita ni kousetsu suru no ga shinjiru to itta watashi wa omotta.

Mother isn't the topic of the sentence here, so she gets a が. Instead, I am the subject, so we move the は. The structure basically says "All that stuff up front, that's what I thought." I think it might be possible to replace the watashi wa with a no wo which would work similar to the no ga. Then, if you want the whole statement to be polite, you use omoimashita at the end instead.

And that's my attempt. Thank you for putting up with me! :)

Get 40% OFF
community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » August 11th, 2015 2:28 pm

jim.schuler san,
konnichiwa.
Good try! :)

johanrift8358 san,
konnichiwa. :D
‘I thought my mother said that she believed it will snow tomorrow’ means ‘母は明日雪が降ると信じていたと私に言ったと思いました’ or ‘母は明日雪になると信じていたと私に言ったと思いました.’

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

johanrift8358
New in Town

Postby johanrift8358 » August 12th, 2015 2:56 pm

Sorry for late replay, but thanks for answer :D

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » August 14th, 2015 11:05 am

johanrift8358 san,
konnichiwa. :)
That’s ok.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us.
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”