a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

context for Kachi (価値)

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

context for Kachi (価値)

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » May 11th, 2015 10:12 pm

So I am trying to translate a song from English to Japanese and part of the song the lyrics say "Do you know how much you're worth?" and when I looked up worth the word Kachi (価値) came up and I'm a little hesitant to use it since I'm not sure if it is the right usage of the word 'worth'.

I'm trying to say worth as in self value or the kind of worth that a person could be and not worth as in how much a tangible thing would be worth.
Like the difference between "You don't know how much you're worth." and "how much is it worth?" If that makes any sense.

Thanks for any help - Yoroshiku ^_~

mertzem8535
New in Town

Re: context for Kachi (価値)

Postby mertzem8535 » May 14th, 2015 2:42 pm

Interesting! You got me thinking.

I had a look at 'kachi' on Josho.org and to be honest I'm not sure if it can be used directly referring to the worth of a human being. However, take a look at the sample sentences here:

http://jisho.org/search/%E4%BE%A1%E5%80%A4%20%23sentences

Have a look at this sentence:

佐渡さんは魅力的な個性の持ち主なのに、その価値が分からず、自分を好まない。
"Even though Sato has a nice personality, he doesn't know its value and doesn't like himself."

The usage here doesn't directly link kachi to the human condition, but it does so indirectly by talking about the worth of the personality.

I think a better word to use might be 'neuchi' 値打ち (Noun, Suru verb) = value; worth; price; dignity
Sample sentences for 'neuchi' here:
http://jisho.org/search/%E5%80%A4%E6%89%93%E3%81%A1%20%23sentences

Cheers!

P.S. its amazing how many people will casually read a post and not even attempt to help you find an answer, isn't it?
Join by May 6th

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”