Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Words that end with mashita but are not past tense?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

MashiePotatoes
New in Town

Words that end with mashita but are not past tense?

Postby MashiePotatoes » January 14th, 2015 2:10 pm

I noticed some words that end with mashita but are not past tense.

For example, when you say I'm tired, you say tsukaremashita instead of tsukaremasu. I know TECHNICALLY 'tired' is like... in the past tense form in eigo so does it work the same way in Jap?

Another one would be Arigatou gozaimashita, where -masu is changed to make it more polite, right? Really confused.

How does this work?

Oh... if anyone knows other words that end with mashita but are not past tense do share here so that I can learn and hopefully others that are confused can learn too :) Also those words that end with mashita to makeit sound more polite. I would love to know

Arigatou gozaimasu in advance :)

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: Words that end with mashita but are not past tense?

Postby mmmason8967 » January 15th, 2015 9:06 pm

MashiePotatoes wrote:I noticed some words that end with mashita but are not past tense.

Japanese doesn't really have tenses in the same way as English. English is concerned with when something happens while Japanese is more concerned with the state of the action--whether it's completed or is ongoing, and so on. The ~mashita ending indicates that the action has been completed; most of the time a completed action is going to be one that is in the past, so the ~mashita ending usually implies that the action happened in the past.

For example, when you say I'm tired, you say tsukaremashita instead of tsukaremasu. I know TECHNICALLY 'tired' is like... in the past tense form in eigo so does it work the same way in Jap?

Yes, that's pretty much what's happening. When you say tsukaremashita, you're saying that you have achieved (note the tense) a state of tiredness.

Another one would be Arigatou gozaimashita, where -masu is changed to make it more polite, right? Really confused.

Although arigatou gozaimasu translates as "thank you", it doesn't actually mean that. It's a comment on the kind deed that was done for you. If you think of arigatou gozaimasu as meaning something roughly along the lines of "that is very kind of you", then arigatou gozaimashita is equivalent to "that was very kind of you". I don't think there's any difference in politeness.

Oh... if anyone knows other words that end with mashita but are not past tense do share here so that I can learn and hopefully others that are confused can learn too :) Also those words that end with mashita to makeit sound more polite. I would love to know

There's wakarimashita, which you'd translate as "I understand". Think of it as "understood" or "got it". You wouldn't say "understand" or "getting it".

And there's yokatta, the plain (casual or non-polite) past form of ii. You'd translate it as "That's great!", "That's brilliant!" or "That's awesome!" even when the great, brilliant or awesome thing has already happened and is a done deed.

Arigatou gozaimasu in advance :)

Since arigatou gozaimasu is a comment on the deed itself rather than your feelings about it, you can't use it to mean "thanks in advance". This is where you need yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

マイケル

Join by May 6th
MashiePotatoes
New in Town

Postby MashiePotatoes » January 17th, 2015 12:36 pm

wow that's very informative. Thank you so much :)

Anyone else can contribute too I'll appreciate all the same!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » January 19th, 2015 5:10 am

マイケルさん、
今日は。
素晴らしい答えですね。That is a great answer.

MashiePotatoes san,
Konnichiwa.
We are happy Michael san helped you a lot.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”