Or sign up using Facebook

いただきますquestion

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

いただきますquestion

Postby jkid » October 23rd, 2006 10:42 am

みなさん、
I am wondering about the use of いただきます. I am curious as to whether this phrase is used still within peoples homes in Japan. From what I hear a lot of formalitise like しつれします。are often not used and are considered old fashioned/"uncool". I am also curious when Japanese people are eating out do they still say いただきます?

ありがとございます!

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » October 23rd, 2006 11:48 am

Can't speak for all of Japan.
but the Japanese I've eaten with say itadakimasu. Mind you, women in general might have better manners. nor have I been in a Japanese home.
The only comment made to me about it was that I shouldn't say it to waiters; where a simple arigatou is sufficient.
I can't remember one way or another what other people in a resturaunt did.

Manners cost nothing and are the grease in the cogs of human relationships. better uncool than rude.
( I myself like the idea of being thankful for food; to have it and acknowledge all the effort in getting it to my plate. Religious feelings aside, just the vast human endeavour involved.)

It wouldn't surprise me that youth would abandon manners amongst themselves, but for a society that has politeness and manners hard-wired into it's language it would surprise me if overall they became as casual, abrupt and rude as the West can be. (IMHO)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » October 23rd, 2006 1:05 pm

Thank you for the reply Belton-さん

better uncool than rude.
( I myself like the idea of being thankful for food; to have it and acknowledge all the effort in getting it to my plate. Religious feelings aside, just the vast human endeavour involved.)

Agreed. :)

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”