Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Could anyone correct my translation please?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ec2953
Established Presence

Could anyone correct my translation please?

Postby ec2953 » November 23rd, 2014 1:20 am

Hi there, these extracts are from Yahoo! Weather (November 22, 2014).

I would like to know if anyone could give me a hand as there are still some shady parts? I would be so grateful !
Below is my non-native English translation attempt.

あすは北日本を寒冷前線が通過します。北海道と東北北部は雲が多く、
Tomorrow, the cold front will cross the north of Japan. It will be very cloudy in Hokkaido and in the north of Tohoku.

(I'm not sure about the meaning of the next sentence, could anyone possibly help me break down the grammatical structures and explain the use of を and に in this particular context? Thanks in advance !)

日本海側を中心に雨や雷雨となるでしょう。
(I think that) the rain and the thunderstorm from the center will approach Japan's seaside -> it will be rainy and stormy near the seasides of the country?

暖かい空気が残り、あすも平地では雪ではなく雨が降る見込みです。
There will be remaining hot/warm air (?). Rain but no snow are (also) to be expected tomorrow.

東北南部から近畿は広く晴れるでしょう。
Kinki from the south of Tohoku will clear up widely.

中国や四国、九州も晴れ間がありますが、にわか雨の所がありそうです。
There will be some moments of clear skies in Chugoku, Shikoku and Kyushu, however it seems that were will also be some areas exposed to rain showers.

最高気温は全国的に平年より高く、
Nationwide, the maximum temperature will be higher than usual.

関東から九州は20度前後まで上がるでしょう。
It will probably go up to about 20 degrees (celsius) in Kyushu from Kanto (I don't get this one? Is there a place called Kyushu in the Kanto?)

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: Could anyone correct my translation please?

Postby mmmason8967 » December 2nd, 2014 11:09 pm

ec2953 wrote:(I'm not sure about the meaning of the next sentence, could anyone possibly help me break down the grammatical structures and explain the use of を and に in this particular context? Thanks in advance !)

Well, since no-one else has provided an answer, I'll give it a go...

日本海側を中心に雨や雷雨となるでしょう。
(I think that) the rain and the thunderstorm from the center will approach Japan's seaside -> it will be rainy and stormy near the seasides of the country?

日本海 is The Sea of Japan, so I think 日本海側 must mean "the Sea of Japan Coast".

を is the direct object marker (as I'm sure you know) but in this case I think it's being used to mark an area that is traversed, as in 公園を歩く, kouen-wo aruku, walk across the park.

I think 中心に means "to the centre" or "towards the centre". I'm not 100% sure about that, though. Maybe it means something more like "at the centre".

Altogether I think it's something like "It's likely that rain and lightning will move in across the Sea of Japan coast and on to the centre". But it might be "...move in across the middle part of the Sea of Japan coast".

マイケル

Join by May 6th
community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Could anyone correct my translation please?

Postby community.japanese » December 8th, 2014 8:19 am

ec2953さん、マイケルさん、
今日は。

日本海側を中心に means “the Sea of Japan Coast is the centre of the area will have rain“.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”