Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

What Different Japanese language represent?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

nihonkai
New in Town

What Different Japanese language represent?

Postby nihonkai » November 14th, 2014 5:14 am

I have been going through the forum and read many times about Hirangana, kana, katanka and many other types. Are these combined to make a single Japanese language? Or its something else?

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

Re: What Different Japanese language represent?

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » November 14th, 2014 5:49 pm

I'm not sure I understand the question entirely, but Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji are all a part of Japanese. They are just writing systems used when writing things down/typing them etc. for instance the Japanese word for I or me, you can write it in kanji 私, katakana ワタシ, or in hiragana わたし, and it will still represent the spoken word "watashi" Does that make any sense? Of course I'm simplifying this a bit, but basically all Kanji, Hiragana, and katakana is, is a way to take spoken words Japanese and making them words you can read and write as well as speak. (Like if someone were to ask if letters were a part of English or if they are something else, the answer is that Letters in the alphabet are just a way to write our words down.) does that make sense? Hope this helps at all.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
TrojanBird
New in Town

Postby TrojanBird » November 15th, 2014 7:10 am

Kanji, Katakana, and Hiragana all work together in forming Japanese sentences. For example, the sentence "私はハンバーガーが好きです。(I like hamburgers.)" contains all 3 alphabets, where "私" and "好" are kanji, "ハンバーガー" is katakana, and "は", "が","き", and "です" are hiragana. Kanji characters simply replace hiragana characters (わたし>私), and at an earlier stage you won't learn too much about kanji until later.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » November 16th, 2014 9:21 am

rayman.the.one.and.only1 san, TrojanBird san,
Thank you for the explanations.

Nihonkai san,
Have you visited the pages below?
http://www.japanesepod101.com/write-japanese/
Please have a look.

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”