a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How to use koto & particles at the end of a sentence

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

How to use koto & particles at the end of a sentence

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » November 10th, 2014 10:04 pm

So, I keep using certain particles at the end of a sentence, but now I'm wondering if I should be. So I've used the particle wa to end some of my sentences since I heard it was a feminine thing to do and it makes some sentences sound more natural. I've also used no to end a sentence, although I think that might be a masculine thing to do, so maybe I shouldn't use that. I also use yo and ne a lot. now what I've heard is that yo expresses confidence in what you are saying, while ne leaves room for doubt (if that makes any sense) like for instance if I said "sono ga jagaimo desu yo." I'm saying "that is a potato." and the yo makes it sound like I know for a fact that it's a potato. But if I said "sono ga jagaimo desu ne" I'm saying "that is a potato" but the ne makes it sound like I'm not entirely sure it's a potato. Is that the correct way to use yo and ne? I've also heard ne used sort of like a question. "Kirei desu ne?" or "Isn't it beautiful?" Sort of like ne is saying that I want to hear if the other person thinks that it's beautiful. Is that correct?
Also I've been wondering about the word koto, I've seen it translated as experience, but it is used in places where I can't make sense of it. Does koto's meaning change when put in certain contexts?
Any help is appreciated. :) Domo arigato gozaimasu!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: How to use koto & particles at the end of a sentence

Postby community.japanese » November 16th, 2014 8:40 am

rayman.the.one.and.only1 さん、
こんにちは。 :D
Firstly I have to correct your sentence, "sono ga jagaimo desu yo".
Sono is followed by a noun so it must be ‘sore’.
‘Sore ga jagaimo desu yo’ is a correct sentence.

Native Japanese people often use final particles in their conversations and they show genders of speakers.
Particle yo indicates assertion as you mentioned.
When questions asked and it’s often used in answers.
Fro example, ‘sore wa jagaimo desu ka’ and ‘hai sore wa janaimo desu yo’.
‘Sore wa satsumaimo desu ka’ and ‘iie, jagaimo desu yo’.

Particle ne indicates confirmation and agreement.
When you want someone to agree with you or you want to confirm something, you can use that.

‘Sore wa jagaimo desu ne’ means ‘it’ a poteto isn’t it?’

Koto is a nominaliser which nominalise verbs and adjectives.
‘Eiga o miru koto ga sukidesu’ means ‘I like watching movies’.
The ‘watching’ in the sentence above is a gerund and is not a verb.

I am not sure about what you said ‘it is used in places where I can't make sense of it ’.
If you give me examples, I think I can explain the point to you.

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » November 16th, 2014 8:52 am

rayman.the.one.and.only1 wrote:So, I keep using certain particles at the end of a sentence, but now I'm wondering if I should be. So I've used the particle wa to end some of my sentences since I heard it was a feminine thing to do and it makes some sentences sound more natural.

Yes, ending sentences with wa is a feminine thing. It's not the same as the topic-marking particle wa; this is easy to see in Japanese writing as the topic-marking wa is written は while the sentence-ending wa is written わ.

I've also used no to end a sentence, although I think that might be a masculine thing to do, so maybe I shouldn't use that.

No, I think using no at the end of a sentence is another feminine thing. Both wa and no are used after plain-form verbs or adjectives, apparently to make the sentence a little less direct. I'm not really sure how you decide whether to use wa or no

Examples lifted from a story I read recently. The speaker is a woman who has just opened her Christmas present, a set of haircombs that she has always wanted:-

あ、あのくしだ!あの店のくしだ!これ、前から欲しかった
あ、あの くし だ ! あの みせ の くし だ ! これ、まえ から ほしかった 
A, ano kushi da wa! Ano mise no kushi da wa! Kore, mae kara hoshikatta no.
Oh, it's those haircombs! The haircombs from that shop! I've wanted these for ages.

I also use yo and ne a lot. now what I've heard is that yo expresses confidence in what you are saying, while ne leaves room for doubt (if that makes any sense) like for instance if I said "sono ga jagaimo desu yo." I'm saying "that is a potato." and the yo makes it sound like I know for a fact that it's a potato.

I guess the most basic and simplistic difference between yo and ne is that yo is used when telling someone something they don't know or don't appreciate while ne is used when telling someone something you think they already know or will agree with.

But if I said "sono ga jagaimo desu ne" I'm saying "that is a potato" but the ne makes it sound like I'm not entirely sure it's a potato. Is that the correct way to use yo and ne?

Yes, pretty much, I think: ne is working like a "tag question" in English. Something like "that's a potato, isn't it?" or "that's a potato, right?", which you might say if you're not sure and also if you are sure and just want to make sure the other person agrees with you.

I've also heard ne used sort of like a question. "Kirei desu ne?" or "Isn't it beautiful?" Sort of like ne is saying that I want to hear if the other person thinks that it's beautiful. Is that correct?

Yes, I think so. Again, ne is working like a tag question, so kirei desu ne is similar to "beautiful, isn't it?"

Also I've been wondering about the word koto, I've seen it translated as experience, but it is used in places where I can't make sense of it. Does koto's meaning change when put in certain contexts?

It's a lot like a particle in that it tends to disappear when you translate into English. It's a nominaliser, meaning that it changes the preceding verb or verb-phrase into a noun, similar to how adding "-ing" to a verb in English makes the verb into a noun. You can say "I like eating" but you can't say "I like eat". Another example from a story I read recently, describing how wealthy the King is:-

欲しいものは、何でも買うことができます。
ほしい もの は、 なんでも かう こと が できます。
Hoshii mono wa, nademo kau koto ga dekimasu.
He could buy anything he wanted.

Any help is appreciated. :) Domo arigato gozaimasu!

You can't use arigatou to mean "thanks in advance" because it's specifically a comment about a favour that's already been done. The phrase that equates to "thanks in advance" is yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

マイケル

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » November 19th, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. thank you so much. :)

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » November 23rd, 2014 5:45 am

マイケルさん、
どうもありがとうございます。

rayman.the.one.and.only1 さん、
よかったですね。

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”