a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Sayonara/O-tsukare-sama

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Sayonara/O-tsukare-sama

Postby Bueller_007 » October 19th, 2006 8:45 am

At my old eikaiwa job, everyone said "o-tsukare-sama deshita" to me when I finished work. At my high school, all of the teachers say "sayonara". Previously, I never heard "sayonara" used in this situation, and I was told that "sayonara" usually (informally) implies a final farewell.

Does anyone know if this choice of words is due to a difference in working culture between private businesses and public high schools?

I also thought it might be because they underestimate my Japanese ability, and think that I wouldn't understand "o-tsukare-sama". But I had to give a 3-4 minute speech in Japanese on my first day of work, so they know that I've worked in a Japanese environment before and I can speak the language, at least enough to fire off a simple "o-tsukare-sama deshita" at the end of the day.

I leave at 3:15 and the regular teachers leave at 5:00, so I'm never around to hear what they say to each other at the end of the day.

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » October 19th, 2006 2:23 pm

FWIW, after classes at my university it is always お疲れ様でした followed by さようなら.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: Sayonara/O-tsukare-sama

Postby Jason » October 19th, 2006 8:45 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:and I was told that "sayonara" usually (informally) implies a final farewell.

No, not necessarily. Shimizu-sensei always said "sayonara" to us after class.

Bueller_007 wrote:I also thought it might be because they underestimate my Japanese ability, and think that I wouldn't understand "o-tsukare-sama".

I wouldn't think so.

I don't think there are any specific reason why they would use one or the other. I would think it's more of a personal preference thing. Have you ever asked any of the other teachers?
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Sayonara/O-tsukare-sama

Postby Bueller_007 » October 19th, 2006 11:41 pm

Jason wrote:No, not necessarily. Shimizu-sensei always said "sayonara" to us after class.

Yeah, from what I understand, it's much like the word "good-bye". It often (but not always) implies finality.

Have you ever asked any of the other teachers?

Not yet.

I worked at an eikaiwa for like 2.5 years, and every single day ended with an "o-tsukare-sama deshita". Never a single sayonara. And that was with a wide variety of different Japanese staff.

Here, I always get "sayonara".

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » October 20th, 2006 12:53 am

At my schools, it's always "otsukaresama deshita". I work at 3 public high schools in Fukushima-ken.

Sean

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 20th, 2006 1:00 am

seanolan wrote:At my schools, it's always "otsukaresama deshita". I work at 3 public high schools in Fukushima-ken.

Sean

Weird...

Wonder why I keep getting the damn sayonara.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » October 20th, 2006 1:39 pm

Next time they hit you with a "sayonara", whip out a "お先に失礼させていただきます。" on 'em just to see how they react.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 21st, 2006 3:16 am

Jason wrote:Next time they hit you with a "sayonara", whip out a "お先に失礼させていただきます。" on 'em just to see how they react.

Hahaha. Will try it.

nappyhead
New in Town

Postby nappyhead » October 26th, 2006 11:15 am

I suspect this is because you are leaving 2 hours before them. If you were leaving at about the same time, 5PM, you would almost certainly hear it.

BTW: Are you sure they leave at 5PM, seems awefully early to me for Japanese staff.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 26th, 2006 12:47 pm

nappyhead wrote:I suspect this is because you are leaving 2 hours before them. If you were leaving at about the same time, 5PM, you would almost certainly hear it.

BTW: Are you sure they leave at 5PM, seems awefully early to me for Japanese staff.

They're high school teachers.

School ends at 3, they're out at 5.

norgus
Been Around a Bit

Postby norgus » October 29th, 2006 4:17 pm

I'm definately not certain, but perhaps さようなら carries just the meaning 'goodbye' and some people don't consider school so much 'work' as a job style 'work'.

Whereas お疲れ様でした carries the meaning that you've been tired out (its sort of a type of thankyou, right?) and that's why I think it would be more likely in a job environment than a school, because its not just study, its WORK. lol

Of course you will have teachers of the opinion that your a hard working class and you deserve your tireness to be recognised.

So I put it down to both personal choice and the situation.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 30th, 2006 3:01 am

I work in the school. I'm not a student.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”