a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

is this a real phrase?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

is this a real phrase?

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » September 8th, 2014 6:02 pm

So once I found a sight that explained the phrase "Mada Mada watashi wa" and it explained it as being in English "I have a long way to go" But when I looked this up again, I couldn't find anything for the saying. So I was wondering if that really is a commonly used phrase, if it means what I think it means, and is there a more commonly used phrase meaning "I have a long way to go?" Any help/comments would be much appreciated. -Arigato Gozaimasu! :D

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: is this a real phrase?

Postby community.japanese » September 9th, 2014 6:42 am

rayman.the.one.and.only1 さん、

Yes, it’s used in Japan, especially when people are complimented.
Suppose you can speak Japanese and go to Japan.
Japanese native speakers should say ‘you are good at Japanese (にほんごがじょうずですね)’ to you. Then you shouldn’t say ‘どうもありがとうございます’. In Japan people should be humble so you should say ‘まだ、まだわたしは’or‘いえいえ、まだまだです (I haven’t reached a certain level yet, not yet, not yet)’instead. Then Japanese people should be impressed because not only speak Japanese but also you understand the Japanese culture which means being humble. If you say ‘arigatou gozaimasu’, they might be surprised because the answer is not expected.
:D
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » October 7th, 2014 6:38 pm

Oh, OK. YAY! I thought that's what it was. That's one thing I love about Japanese culture is how they are so humble. I feel like American's need to adopt this principle a bit more than we have. (That's a blanket statement of course, I've known plenty of Americans who are very humble.) Anyway thanks. :) Arigato Gozaimasu! :D

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » October 11th, 2014 2:58 am

rayman.the.one.and.only1さん、

I like American being confident.
Americans should respond differently from Japanese when they are in the USA. :wink:

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”