Or sign up using Facebook

How to say "Kiera the Sniper"

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

adrienne42_500099
New in Town

How to say "Kiera the Sniper"

Postby adrienne42_500099 » June 21st, 2014 4:18 am

こんばんは!

This question might be a bit complicated because there's a bit of a cross-language pun happening.

In a story I'm writing, there is a sniper named Kiera, who is fighting against a group of Japanese criminals. She overhears some of their radio chatter, and discovers that they are talking about her in Japanese.

"Kiera" I guess would be pronounced as "キーラ" by the Japanese bad guys, but slightly mispronounced it could sound like "キラー", which means "killer".

狙撃兵 means "sniper", is that correct?

So, how would the Japanese criminals say "Kiera the Sniper"? Would it be "キーラ狙撃兵" ?

And how would they say, "the Killer Sniper"? Would it be "キラー狙撃兵" or "狙撃兵キラー" ?

What I'm wondering if I can achieve, is if the Japanese characters can refer to Kiera as both "Kiera the Sniper" and "the Killer Sniper" using (almost) the same words in Japanese, making a bit of a pun on her name, and giving her a bit of an infamous reputation.

Also, a related question: the villains in the story are members of the yakuza. I know that one of the titles for a "boss" in the yakuza is "oyabun". If one character is speaking to, or about, the oyabun, is the title used like an honorific suffix to his name? As in, "I owe a debt to Sakasi-oyabun."

Thank-you for your help!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: How to say "Kiera the Sniper"

Postby community.japanese » June 24th, 2014 2:07 am

Adrienne42 san,
今日は。Thank you for the post.
狙撃兵 means "sniper", is that correct?  Yes, 狙撃兵 or 狙撃者.

So, how would the Japanese criminals say "Kiera the Sniper"? Would it be "キーラ狙撃兵" ?

And how would they say, "the Killer Sniper"? Would it be "キラー狙撃兵" or "狙撃兵キラー" ?
Calling titles from names (titles after names) indicates showing respect to the person even if she is a sniper.
When you address her, I think you should use "キラー狙撃兵".
"狙撃兵キラー" sounds like a title of a newspaper article.
Also when you are talking about her for example, she killed someone, you can use "狙撃兵キラー".

Regarding the question below, I am sorry I don’t know about yakuza very much…
Also, a related question: the villains in the story are members of the yakuza. I know that one of the titles for a "boss" in the yakuza is "oyabun". If one character is speaking to, or about, the oyabun, is the title used like an honorific suffix to his name? As in, "I owe a debt to Sakasi-oyabun."

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get your free gifts of the month
adrienne42_500099
New in Town

Postby adrienne42_500099 » June 24th, 2014 8:25 pm

手伝って下さって、ありがとうございます。

Your reply is very helpful.

If I understand you correctly: when the criminals speak to Kiera, they should call her "キラー狙撃兵", as in: "俺から 非表示にできません, キラー狙撃兵。" ("You cannot hide yourself from me, Killer Sniper.")

When they talk about her, they should say, "狙撃兵キラー は 血も涙もない。" ("The Killer Sniper is cold-blooded and cruel.")

What's the difference between 狙撃兵 and 狙撃者 ? I am guessing that using 兵 (soldier) is more official for a sniper that's serving actively in the military, is that correct?

In the military, do they put the rank after someone's name, like any other title? So Sergeant Taro becomes 太郎軍曹 ?

And finally, I suppose not very many people here would know much about the yakuza, but maybe there are some fans of gangster movies on this forum. :)

Being gangsters, I imagine they don't talk about their business in public very much, so maybe the poor person who owes a debt to the oyabun had better say "I owe a debt to Sasaki-sama" instead.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » June 27th, 2014 3:51 am

Adrienne42 san,
どういたしまして。

adrienne42 wrote:If I understand you correctly: when the criminals speak to Kiera, they should call her "キラー狙撃兵",

Yes, that’s right.

However, I am wondering the translation below.
adrienne42 wrote: "俺から 非表示にできません, キラー狙撃兵。" ("You cannot hide yourself from me, Killer Sniper.")

Isn't it "隠れられません"?

adrienne42 wrote:What's the difference between 狙撃兵 and 狙撃者 ? I am guessing that using 兵 (soldier) is more official for a sniper that's serving actively in the military, is that correct?

兵 means a solder and 者 means a person.
If a person belongs to the military, the person is called 狙撃兵.

adrienne42 wrote:In the military, do they put the rank after someone's name, like any other title? So Sergeant Taro becomes 太郎軍曹 ?

Yes, the rank should be put after their names.

Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”