a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

what is the best learning way during watching anime or japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Abdulmalikalghamdi7458
New in Town

what is the best learning way during watching anime or japan

Postby Abdulmalikalghamdi7458 » January 19th, 2014 2:47 am

Because I love japanese anime I intend to add watching japanese anime as an extra way to learn japanese but I need advice what is the better as you see for me as absolute beginner when or during watching the move
do I have to see the anime or move without subtitle?
or add english subtitle which I can understand ? or add japanese subtitle ? :?:

Thanks for the wonderful site japanesepod1010 :mrgreen:

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: what is the best learning way during watching anime or j

Postby community.japanese » January 20th, 2014 6:43 am

Abdulmalikalghamdi7458-san,
using the real materials like anime or movies is always a fun way to learn language and brush up your listening
skills! :D The only concern regarding Japanese is that colloquial language is very different from the "corrrect textbook
language" which we always have to learn at the beginning (in any language).
So, choosing the easy one (as a start) would be a clever thing to do anyway.

Using subtitles or not is a matter of level-appropriate approach.
If you're a beginner, I'd recommend you to use subtitles in a effective way, more often than upper level
learners. I also used movies, TV shows and dramas, and so on when I learned English (and I'm continue
using it). At the beginning, I watched the same story many times; with and without subtitles.
Many people try first to watch without subtitles, but I didn't find this method very effective for beginner level.
Instead, first use subtitle (or could be even doubled/overvoiced). Knowing the story more or less, try
without aid. This way, you can focus more on "what they say in Japanese" and "how they say in this situation
in Japanese". If you have specific situation/conversation you'd like to know how they say in Japanese
OR what it means, you can stop it and check subtitles.
It'd be very useful if you have transcriptions for this.

There's something I've actually experienced to realise: if you have subtitles on, your attention goes more "to read
subtitles" instead of listening. Hence, your listening comprehension decreases. I tried it with two foreign
languages (i.e. watching the movie in foreign language 1, with subtitle in foreign language 2).
The result? After watching the movie and think back, what I remember is the language I'm more familiar with.
When I watch movies with Japanese subtitles, reading my native language gives more impact to my brain.

You cannot actually expect listening to target language (Japanese) and read the aid (English) for the efficient
result. It's much better if you give your 100% concentration to listen and catch/understand what they say.

Hope this helps!

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 45% OFF
Abdulmalikalghamdi7458
New in Town

Postby Abdulmalikalghamdi7458 » January 24th, 2014 12:16 pm

I really appreciate your precious tips
arigato sensi Natsuko :ojigi:

becciwhitton5094
Been Around a Bit

Postby becciwhitton5094 » January 24th, 2014 9:43 pm

私も日本語を練習するためによくアニメを見ます。 「勉強している」と言っています、でも、実はごろごろしています (笑)

「白熊カフェ」と言うアニメがすすめです。 ほかのアニメよりキャラクターたちがちょっとおそく話しますから分かりやすいんです。 それより、このアニメがちょう可愛いですよ  :D

I also often watch anime to practice Japanese. Well, I say "I'm studying", but actually I'm just lazing around :D

I recommend a show called "Polar Bear Cafe". The characters tend to talk a bit slower than in other anime so its easier to understand. Besides that, this anime is super cute :D

You can watch it here for free (legally) with ads, or with no ads if you have a subscription to this site: http://www.crunchyroll.com/polar-bear-cafe

Please correct my Japanese above if I've made mistakes! Thanks :flower:

neige_schnee
New in Town

Postby neige_schnee » January 25th, 2014 2:23 am

Hello becciwhitton5094 san,
You really tird hard to write Japanese sentences. :D
Correction is below.
私も日本語を練習するためによくアニメを見ます。 
「勉強している」と言っています。でも、実はごろごろしています (笑)。
「白熊カフェ」と言うアニメがおすすめです。 
ほかのアニメよりキャラクターたちがちょっとおそく話しますから分かりやすいんです。
それにくわえて、このアニメがちょう可愛いですよ。 
Yuki 由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com

Abdulmalikalghamdi7458
New in Town

Postby Abdulmalikalghamdi7458 » January 25th, 2014 3:43 pm

becciwhitton5094 wrote:私も日本語を練習するためによくアニメを見ます。 「勉強している」と言っています、でも、実はごろごろしています (笑)

「白熊カフェ」と言うアニメがすすめです。 ほかのアニメよりキャラクターたちがちょっとおそく話しますから分かりやすいんです。 それより、このアニメがちょう可愛いですよ  :D

I also often watch anime to practice Japanese. Well, I say "I'm studying", but actually I'm just lazing around :D

I recommend a show called "Polar Bear Cafe". The characters tend to talk a bit slower than in other anime so its easier to understand. Besides that, this anime is super cute :D

You can watch it here for free (legally) with ads, or with no ads if you have a subscription to this site: http://www.crunchyroll.com/polar-bear-cafe

Please correct my Japanese above if I've made mistakes! Thanks :flower:

Thank you for your recommendation is a really nice, especially with the English subtitles and its reasonable speed for understand :flower:

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » January 25th, 2014 4:03 pm

Abdulmalikalghamdi7458-san, becciwhitton5094-san,
indeed! Thank you for the recommendation and link! :D
(although, I couldn't watch it as it's shown that I can't watch the video in my region :cry: , I looked for one
on YouTube)

I'm sure many learners on J-Pod would also like it :wink:

Natsuko (奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”