Or sign up using Facebook

Help with Translation

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

roquesdoodle
New in Town

Help with Translation

Postby roquesdoodle » October 4th, 2006 3:44 pm

Konnichiwa!

I recently met someone from Japan whom I am corresponding with via email, both in English and in Japanese. I have been studying Japanese for only a few months so my translation skills have a lot to be desired. I have been able to use my dictionary and online resources to translate everything so far except the following phrase:

"kon do no nitiyoubi"

I've tried all of my resources and just can't figure it out. Can anyone help me? Arigatou onegaishimasu! :D

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » October 4th, 2006 3:59 pm

It's supposed to be "Kon do no nichiyoubi". Nichiyoubi is sunday, kon do was covered in a lesson I listened to recently (an old one, I think), and means "this time", but it can also mean "next time" (not sure if it can have this meaning other places than "mata kon do". So, I think the sentence means "this sunday" or "next sunday". Hope this helps.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
roquesdoodle
New in Town

Postby roquesdoodle » October 4th, 2006 4:41 pm

That makes perfect sense. Arigatou gozaimasu!

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » October 4th, 2006 5:11 pm

You can spell it "nitiyoubi" too. It's just an different romanization system. That one seems to be popular in Japan.

Whether "kondo" means "this time" or "next time" depends on the context. I think more often it's used to mean "next time."
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » October 4th, 2006 8:10 pm

Aha, thanks!

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”