くれたまえ??

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Brody
Expert on Something

くれたまえ??

Postby Brody » September 11th, 2006 2:14 am

So I came across this in my readings:

すぐ来てくれたまえ!

and wasn't familiar with くれたまえ. Through the gist of the sentence and alc, etc. I can guess that it's some form of the imperative. But I can't find it in any of my grammar books or textbooks.

I'm guessing it's a very vulgar form of the imperative, conjugating like 行く to 行け. Am I right? What is the original verb? Is this an archaic expression? Can it be used in the past tense? Should I even bother learning it?

Or if anyone could just direct me towards somewhere where I could find an explanation of it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
AKA パンク野郎

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: くれたまえ??

Postby Bueller_007 » September 11th, 2006 6:06 am

Brody wrote:So I came across this in my readings:

すぐ来てくれたまえ!

and wasn't familiar with くれたまえ. Through the gist of the sentence and alc, etc. I can guess that it's some form of the imperative. But I can't find it in any of my grammar books or textbooks.

I'm guessing it's a very vulgar form of the imperative, conjugating like 行く to 行け. Am I right? What is the original verb? Is this an archaic expression? Can it be used in the past tense? Should I even bother learning it?

Or if anyone could just direct me towards somewhere where I could find an explanation of it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search.php? ... =jn&mode=5

The key point is:
男性が同輩または同輩以下の人に対して、軽い敬意または親しみの気持ちをこめていう。
So it's used by men, and is a somewhat friendly/respectful way to give orders to their equals and inferiors.

You can also find this in the grammar bank. :wink:

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » September 11th, 2006 5:27 pm

Ah, たまう. Didn't think of looking that part up. So it's based on an old verb; does that make the conjugation special (since most times when くれる combines it becomes くれて and not just くれ)?

You can also find this in the grammar bank.

heh, heh. *cough* *cough* :oops: Guess it's time to dig up some more money. Just paid tuition, so the funds are a little scarce right now.
AKA パンク野郎

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » September 11th, 2006 5:27 pm

Ah, たまう. Didn't think of looking that part up. So it's based on an old verb; does that make the conjugation special (since most times when くれる combines it becomes くれて and not just くれ)?

You can also find this in the grammar bank.

heh, heh. *cough* *cough* :oops: Guess it's time to dig up some more money. Just paid tuition, so the funds are a little scarce right now.

Thanks once again for the help, Bueller.
AKA パンク野郎

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » September 11th, 2006 11:22 pm

The formation goes:

[masu stem] + 給う

It is a bit on the archaic side, but it still seems to be in use to an extent. I've also heard it used to give "respectful commands" to dieties. In most other instances, ~てくれ or another of those constructions would probably be used.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”