Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Kanji status in modern japanese

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

seasurfer
Been Around a Bit

Postby seasurfer » September 6th, 2006 9:32 pm

Just discovered one super-frustrating example.

The Japanese Wikipedia article for green bean.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/リョクトウ

Green bean is 緑豆(りょくとうこう) in japanese. Why the heck the writer of this article wants to "katagana"ize it. I am really so frustrated with this kind of article, because it really takes me more time to figure out the word is green bean.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » September 7th, 2006 8:33 am

seasurfer wrote:Just discovered one super-frustrating example.

The Japanese Wikipedia article for green bean.
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/リョクトウ

Green bean is 緑豆(りょくとうこう) in japanese. Why the heck the writer of this article wants to "katagana"ize it. I am really so frustrated with this kind of article, because it really takes me more time to figure out the word is green bean.

It's not the writer of the article. The word is *usually* written in katakana.

Katakana tends to be used for a lot of plant and animal names so that they don't have to remember otherwise useless and overly complex kanji. So it's probably just an extension of that, despite the fact that the kanji are pretty simple in this case.

You're putting too much thought into this. The language is what it is.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
ANDS!
New in Town

Postby ANDS! » September 12th, 2006 6:34 pm

In addition, I realized that there are more usage of katakana words in modern japanese compare to japanese 50 years ago.

The country has also opened up to ALOT of foreign culture, and the best way to represent that is with katakana. I dont think you are going to see people using katakana as a replacement for hiragana/kanji anytime soon (other than for emphasis or effect).

I just wonder why can't they use some simple kanjis to replace the long katakana...

While katakana words may well be able to be written in kanji, you also have to remember the kanji THEMSELVES lend credence to the meaning of a word. "Hanasu" for example has a radical in it that is associated with speaking/language.

You know, I think reading pure kana sentences would be a lot easier if Japanese would start using spaces in between words.

Ha - this perfectly sums up the sentiment of so many Japanese learners (myself included). However it wouldnt neccesarily be easier for them since thats how they learned the language (well childrens book DO have the words spaced out). In time, one comes to "recognize" where words begin and end due to familiarization and seeing particles and expression enders/beginners.

The poster who made the comment about the NUMEROUS Japanese words that are spelled the same, really hit it on the head. Without kanji, contexualization would be all but impossible.

tintinium
Been Around a Bit

Postby tintinium » September 21st, 2006 3:41 pm

Another thing about Japanese... if you're an English speaker... go read anything over 100 years old. Without a dictionary it's difficult to understand everything... for example, we don't use words like yon or shew anymore. The English language was a LOT more rich and people were far more literate in some ways.

KeithH
Been Around a Bit

Postby KeithH » September 25th, 2006 7:22 pm

I definitely prefer a sentence written in kanji and kana as opposed to something entirely written in kana. The kanji modularize the sentence plus add some hints at meaning when I don't know the words. At this point in my study, I'm more likely to recognize the kanji by meaning than to know the compound. Online, I have the power of Rikaichan at my disposal, which trivializes kanji compounds.

I do get confused when Japanese people use hiragana to express words that can also be written in kanji. I haven't even touched the tip of that iceberg. I get the feeling that it's more casual or emotive when using hiragana instead of kanji.

tiroth2
Established Presence

Postby tiroth2 » September 25th, 2006 7:57 pm

I get the feeling that it's more casual or emotive when using hiragana instead of kanji.

Yes, it's usually used for emphasis of some kind, or to express slang/corrupted speech in manga.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”