Or sign up using Facebook

Funny Japanese Language Slip-up Stories

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

WCR91
Established Presence

Postby WCR91 » September 13th, 2006 5:39 pm

Peter wrote:I could go on and on and on, but for now I offer this one:

I was having a bad day, and my Japanese friend asked why. I replied:

夕べルームメートに侵された。・Yuube ruumumeeto ni oKAsareta. - Last night I was raped by roomate, I wanted to say awoken - 起こされた・oKOsareta - by my roomate. :shock: The listening party was quite concerned! And to compound things, my roomate was a girl. Damage control on that took some time, but the moral of this story is becareful when playing with passives.

*catches breath* Whoo, I can just picture you saying that, Peter. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.

tintinium
Been Around a Bit

Postby tintinium » September 21st, 2006 6:51 pm

I've made tonnes of mistakes... but one stands out... and it wasn't made by me. I was at a traditional Japanese restaurant for breakfast in Shirahama and the waittress, upon an all japanese party leaving, she said "おはようございました" instead of "ありがとうございました"

I thought I only foreigners made those mistakes!!!

On the same theme... I used to routinely mix up "行ってきます" and "いただきます" so when I was leaving the house, I was saying (roughly) "Okay, let's eat" and when I started to eat, I was saying "I'm going, be back soon!"

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Jonas
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jonas » September 21st, 2006 8:41 pm

I was talking with my ex, who is Japanese (this is a few years ago, dont worry Peter, I didn't break up with my current one :) ), and we were talking about one of her friends. So I asked her where her friend lives, and she answered 大阪にしんでる (Oosaka ni shinderu) instead of 大阪にすんでる (Osaka ni sunderu). That made me laugh pretty hard :lol: (shinderu means to be dead, while sunderu means to live somewhere. So her friend was dead in Osaka :roll: )
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

WCR91
Established Presence

Postby WCR91 » September 22nd, 2006 1:21 am

Once, I was shopping at a Japanese store, and I was thinking about food. When I got to the counter and paid, the lady said "Arigatou!"

What I should have said was "Arigatou", "Douitashimashite", something to that effect.

What did I SAY?

"Gochisou-sama deshita."

Talking about receiving a weird look.

Alfonso
New in Town

"Good night" and "Static"

Postby Alfonso » September 22nd, 2006 4:17 am

Well! I have a couple of them which are quite funny.

The first one happened the first time I was in Japan during a family stay. In Spanish (at least Spain Spanish!) the expression for wishing someone to have a good night and the salutation "Good evening" are the same and I knew only the second in Japanese and I thought it was the first, so you can imagine what went wrong! I was completely exhausted after the trip and I came from my room to the living room and told the whole family:
Me: こんばんは。
Them: 「こんばんは」?
Me: はい、こんばんは。
Them: ... :shock:

The second one is even funnier. That was four years ago during a presentation in university. I was talking about "static algorithms" 静的なアルゴリズム at a lecture room with a projector. I passed one slide and the whole room broke out laughing at the title: 性的なアルゴリズム (¡Sexual algorithms!) At first I didn't understand what was going on, then my advisor pointed it out... Since then I always double-check when converting from kana to kanji!

Cheers.

P.S.: BTW, Jonas, that story's just hilarious

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: "Good night" and "Static"

Postby Jason » September 22nd, 2006 6:46 am

Alfonso wrote:性的なアルゴリズム

そのクラスを取ってみたいなあ。どこで教えているでしょうか。 :wink:
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”