a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Some questions.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Tensei
Been Around a Bit

Some questions.

Postby Tensei » August 11th, 2006 9:54 pm

1. I could be typing this wrong, but I once heard "mamorunaka ikenai." Is that supposed to be saying cant protect? Have to protect? Also, it sounded like "mamorunake" but a character repeated him afterwards and when he said it sounded like "mamorunaka." Anyway, yeah. And yes, this is from an anime, so yes, it probably isnt very proper or polite.

2. "Umarete kitanda." A line from a song which has something to do with being born. The umarete is the born part...whats the kitanda for?

3. How do you say during something? Like...during the summer.

4. Since mou is to hold, can motte imasu only be used for things you can hold, or anything?

And I have more questions I cant ask because theyre all vocal things Ive heard that sound really familiar, like I should know the tense of the word, but its too fast and slurred for me to be sure. Kind of annoying. And sometimes even when it ISN'T fast I cant quite understand the word.

Ill probably have more questions later.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Some questions.

Postby Bueller_007 » August 12th, 2006 4:19 am

Tensei wrote:1. I could be typing this wrong, but I once heard "mamorunaka ikenai." Is that supposed to be saying cant protect? Have to protect? Also, it sounded like "mamorunake" but a character repeated him afterwards and when he said it sounded like "mamorunaka." Anyway, yeah. And yes, this is from an anime, so yes, it probably isnt very proper or polite.

守らなきゃいけない. It's a "kya", not a "ka". And yeah, it means "have to protect, have to obey, have to follow [the rules]", etc.

It's a contraction, so it's kinda slangy, I guess. You'd probably want to use 守らなければいけません in a more formal situation.

2. "Umarete kitanda." A line from a song which has something to do with being born. The umarete is the born part...whats the kitanda for?

きたんだ=来た ん だ=to have come.

Hard to say why they chose this form over simply 生まれた, I guess it probably stresses the actual time of birth, the emergence from the womb, etc. To have been "born into this world", I guess it'd translate as.

For info about the ん and the だ, there are some jpod lessons about them banging around somewhere.

3. How do you say during something? Like...during the summer.

There are many ways, depending on formality, context and if it is written or spoken.
夏のうちに would be the easiest way to express "during the summer".

For questions like these, consult Eijiro:
www.alc.co.jp
Just run a search for "during the".

4. Since mou is to hold, can motte imasu only be used for things you can hold, or anything?

"mou" is not "to hold". "motsu" (持つ) is "to hold; to have", and it is used to indicate possession, even of abstract things like knowledge.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Tensei
Been Around a Bit

Postby Tensei » August 12th, 2006 6:18 am

Oh yeah, duh, I knew it was motsu and not mou, dunno why I didnt catch that. Mou isnt even a verb.

Anyway, ありがとう。At some point in the future Im sure Ill have another question.

Well, i guess I have one now actually. These jpod things..do they require an ipod or something? I dont have one of those. So I cant find out about the n.

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 12th, 2006 7:52 am

You can listen to the podcasts on your computer. You don't need an ipod. Just click on the play now button in the lesson description on the home page.

I listen to the podcasts on the computer alot. It's much easier on the computer to rewind and skip to certain parts and I can incoporate other study methods while I listen.

I highly, highly reccomend that you listen to the podcasts. Just click onto the home page, choose a lesson that seems interesting, and click the "audio," "play now," or "play in popup" button.
AKA パンク野郎

Tensei
Been Around a Bit

Postby Tensei » August 16th, 2006 1:27 am

I hear "何するの?” sometimes. Is the no that question particle used my females, or is it a nominilzation thing? I have yet to reach the podcast that explains nominilization, but even I get the basic idea, turning verbs and such into nouns, sometimes Ill hear koto and no a lot when to me, and based on the translation, they dont seem to be necessary.

Tensei
Been Around a Bit

Postby Tensei » August 16th, 2006 2:03 am

I have 4 things that I want written out in Japanese (them being translated is optional, but preferred) Theyre from anime, so yeah, theyre probably improper and impolite and blah blah blah. Theres tons of sentences I dont understand in Japanese, but these are different, because Im on the verge of being able to understand them completely, but theres a few words in each that I either a) cant understand but theyre way too slurred and said too quickly, b) can understand, but the definitions dont seem to make sense. And I'm gonna stress this again: I know Japanese from anime is generally NOT a good thing to pay attention to.

1 - http://media.putfile.com/kowaga (the word thats after what sounds like kowaga and before 'no iya da kara' is whats confusing me, it sounds too jumbled for me. I know hes saying something along the lines of "Because I dont want Takato to be scared...[the rest doesnt matter]" since I picked out a few words and used the context)

2 - http://media.putfile.com/oishii (Something like 'at that time you said it was good, Takato...something something. But the person in question DIDN'T say it was good, so Im wrong. Im avoiding too many names and the context of the situation because if I reveal them you'll all make fun of me for watching Digimon Tamers and taking its kiddy Japanese seriously...aw, crap)

3 - http://media.putfile.com/horou (Kore kara horou ka naa? Eh? Now, Im not sure what horou is (thats what it sounds like anyays), but it might be hole that he put the bread (pan) into (Guilmon buries his bread), which I guess what would mean something along the lines of "I wonder if this bread would be good from this hole...?" but how is that a response to "Kyou wa ii yo." ? It isnt, so Im confused.

4 - http://media.putfile.com/omoshiroii (I know what hes saying. Hes saying that he went to surprise people and they went waa and it wasnt interesting so he went home. However, I mostly only know that because I picked out the key words and used the context to fill in the rest. Not good enough)

Anyway I could ask "What does this impolite, childish, slurred Japanese that nobody in Japan actually uses from a kids anime that most Japanese are horribly embarassed of mean?" all day, but Im not going to put you all through that.
Last edited by Tensei on August 16th, 2006 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » August 16th, 2006 3:03 am

Tensei wrote:I hear "何するの?” sometimes. Is the no that question particle used my females, or is it a nominilzation thing?

The short answer is, it's the "informal question の." Though it's not exclusively used by females. It's not nominilzation.

The slightly longer answer is that's it's short for "何するのだ?" So it actually comes from the のだ structure. Because だ sounds pretty strong in speech, females tend to drop it a lot. And sometimes guys, too.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » August 16th, 2006 10:05 am

Hello Tensei, I listened to those clips and it seems that you pretty much caught what they were saying. He's what I heard for the first two:

1: たかとにまた怖がるのはいやだから。
Takato ni mata kowagaru no ha iya dakara.

2:そういう時おいしいというんだって、たかとおいしいってくれた。
Sou iu toki oishii to iu-n datte, Takato oishii tte kureta.

You picked up the third one correctly. The verb you are hearing is Horu (to dig), so he's considering digging. As I can't get my head around the situation I'm not sure how this fits into the context of the story.

And finally for number 4 you seem to understand what's going on, but did you pick up that he was asked to play with whomever he's talking about, but returned home because it wasn't interesting?

I don't think you should apologise for using anime to help you learn Japanese, it sounds much more interesting than any of the textbooks I had to endure.

Tensei
Been Around a Bit

Postby Tensei » August 16th, 2006 11:28 am

たかとおいしいってくれた

What exactly does this mean...?
And finally for number 4 you seem to understand what's going on, but did you pick up that he was asked to play with whomever he's talking about, but returned home because it wasn't interesting?

I heard an 'asobi' thrown in there around the end, but the words around it are too fast for me to even write down, let alone possibly understand. Sounds like んとね、びっくりさいして(?)ワアアとどけ(?)あそぼうってわれ(?)だけど、面白くないから変えちゃったの。(Whats the no for?)

Im not really making a special effort to learn Japanese from anime, but it can be helpful sometimes. And thanks for making the effort to respond.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 16th, 2006 12:15 pm

タカトにまた怖がられるんやだから。

そういうときはおいしいっていうんだって、タカトは教えてくれた。

またパン食べる?今埋めちゃったけど。
今日はいいよ。
これから掘ろうかな。

ん〜とね。びっくり最低。わあってこと開花遊ぼうって言われたけど、面白くないから帰ってきたの。

Something like that. Most of #4 is probably wrong, but my laptop battery is dying so I can't listen again.

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » August 16th, 2006 12:34 pm

Good stuff, Bueller. I can't believe I didn't catch number 2 correctly - getting old, old, old.

Number 4 is difficult without understanding what he's talking about, but are you sure that's a 最低(saitei)? I thought it was させて. I have trouble catching the middle section, but it sounds like 返して(kaeshite) as in he replied with a "Waa".

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 16th, 2006 1:47 pm

Airth wrote:are you sure that's a 最低(saitei)? I thought it was させて. I have trouble catching the middle section, but it sounds like 返して(kaeshite) as in he replied with a "Waa".

Got myself to a place where I can charge my laptop.

Yeah, after listening again, I'm *pretty* sure #4 is びっくり最低, as in "it was surprisingly crappy". The only part that's throwing me is the part that comes after こと, which sounds like "kaetta", "kaika"... Something like that. Figured it might be 開花 like dude was going to do some hanami, but I really don't know.

Number 4 is difficult without understanding what he's talking about

Yes, some context would certainly be useful when trying to transcribe relatively low-quality MP3s from strange-ass cartoons...

Tensei
Been Around a Bit

Postby Tensei » August 16th, 2006 8:15 pm

I could download a very high 180mb version of the episodes, since what I used is low quality to begin with...but I dont really care enough to do that. Maybe in the future.

And thanks. But what exactly does "そういうときはおいしいっていうんだって、タカトは教えてくれた。" mean?

And if context would help for number 4, somebody asked the speaker (Guilmon) to go out and surprise (as in scare) people. They went, Guilmon watched him surprise someone, said it was boring, and went home. Along the way he met Takato, and Takato asked him where hes been. The clip is Guilmons response. Takato misunderstands Guilmon, and thinks that Guilmon went out and scared people, probably because Takato figures the only way Guilmon could know if it was interesting or not would be if Guilmon actually did it.

As a little side note, in the English version they made Guilmon say that he actually DID scare some people. Even though he didnt. Whatever.

Peter
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Peter » August 18th, 2006 11:22 am

Mina-san, I ran it by a Japanese friend, and he came up with:
ん〜とね。びっくりさせて。わっと驚かせて、遊ぼうって言われたけど、面白くないから帰ってきたの。

I still can't hear 驚かせて.
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Tensei
Been Around a Bit

Postby Tensei » August 18th, 2006 11:52 am

I dont hear 驚かせて either, and I dont think that really makes much sense in the context. But what do I know? Hes Japanaese and Im not.

I did make a higher quality version but you can barely tell the difference.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”