a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Your Kanji Stories

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Airth
Expert on Something

Your Kanji Stories

Postby Airth » August 5th, 2006 1:42 pm

There are many ways to remember the writing and the readings of Chinese characters, so I'd like to invite your ideas for individual kanji or their combinations.

Personally, I started off with simple repetition before switching to the Heisig method, though I ended up breaking a number of the guidelines he sets out. I am now at a position where I can divide the Joyo Kanji into three groups: ones I simply know on an instinctive level; others that I have to work through a story process to recall either the writing or the reading; and the final nasty group that I just can't seem to get a solid grip on. Perhaps by sharing ideas we can find new ways of looking at troublesome kanji in order to engrain them in our minds.

The best ideas are the ones that somehow work at least one reading along with the meaning and the writing into a story. But, if you have an idea that only covers one of these points that's fine. Of course, different people will associate different elements with different images and those images could be either abstract or concrete. That means I may not see or have a feel for the characters in the same way as you do. Actually, that's perfect because it challenges me to break free from my fixed viewpoint, which in turn may give me the hook I need to get a kanji fixed in my mind. You may not be able to explain exactly why you make a certain connection as sometimes these things just happen, or perhaps you think your idea is ridiculous; don't worry about that, simply share your idea and maybe you will provide the spark that someone was looking for.

Here are a couple of my examples to get things started:

倣う
Heisig's Meaning: Emulate
Japanese Reading: ならう (narau) "To Imitate"
Chinese Reading: ほう (hou)

I see three elements: me, a gentlemen, my master. So, I am learning how to be a gentlemen from my master by emulating him. That gives me the meaning, writing, and I know that learn = ならう (narau) so I also have the Japanese reading. Finally, the story is focusing on "the gentleman" that I know should be read ほう (hou) for the Chinese reading.

Heisig's Meaning: Bamboo
Japanese Reading: たけ (take)
Chinese Reading: ちく (chiku)

I instinctively know the writing, meaning, and Japanese reading; but for the longest time I've struggled to remember the Chinese reading. Well, since I made an image of someone being slapped across the cheek with a long stick of bamboo I've never forgotten it's read ちく (chiku).

They work for me and if they work for one person reading this then I'll be happy. I'll be even happier if you share your ideas, regardless of whether you started learning kanji today or 50 years ago...
Get 40% OFF Forever Discount

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”