a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

会えてよかったです

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mikuji
Established Presence

会えてよかったです

Postby mikuji » July 31st, 2006 4:15 pm

In one of the lessons 夏子さんrecommended this expression after meeting someone for the first time.

I have two questions:

1) is 会えて the -te form of the potential for the verb 会う ?- that is can we use the -te form from the potential? This would translate as- 'So glad I WAS ABLE to meet you'

2) if this expression indicates pleasure at the end of a first encounter should I always used the formal です at the end or/and when would it be Ok to use the shortened 会えてよかった as used by 夏子さん in the lesson.

よろしくお願いします

mikuji

とにかく、Natsukoさん:゛夏子さん゛と書いてもういいですか?

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: 会えてよかったです

Postby Jason » July 31st, 2006 5:20 pm

mikuji wrote:1) is 会えて the -te form of the potential for the verb 会う ?- that is can we use the -te form from the potential? This would translate as- 'So glad I WAS ABLE to meet you'

Yes to all of that. The English "I'm glad I was able to meet you" is a bit different since it implies there were some particular difficulties that may have stopped your meeting. But the Japanese doesn't imply that. At least not nearly as strongly. So that's why it's usually best just to translate it "I'm glad to have met you" even though that's not what it litterally says.

mikuji wrote:2) if this expression indicates pleasure at the end of a first encounter should I always used the formal です at the end or/and when would it be Ok to use the shortened 会えてよかった as used by 夏子さん in the lesson.

It depends on who it is. If it's soemone who you could be informal to anyway then the shorter would be fine. Or if you start off formal with them, but they say informal's ok by the end of convo, the short form should be ok. Otherwise, using です would probably be best.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: 会えてよかったです

Postby Bueller_007 » July 31st, 2006 5:33 pm

mikuji wrote:In one of the lessons 夏子さんrecommended this expression after meeting someone for the first time.

I have two questions:

1) is 会えて the -te form of the potential for the verb 会う ?- that is can we use the -te form from the potential? This would translate as- 'So glad I WAS ABLE to meet you'

2) if this expression indicates pleasure at the end of a first encounter should I always used the formal です at the end or/and when would it be Ok to use the shortened 会えてよかった as used by 夏子さん in the lesson.

よろしくお願いします

mikuji

If you have a question about a simple phrase like this, just try Space ALC, as their example sentences cover just about every pleasantry known to man.
http://tinyurl.com/ja9w7

The exact literal translation is, as you said, "It was good to be able to meet with you."

The level of politeness you use when speaking Japanese doesn't depend merely on how well you know the person, but also age, rank, etc. For example, if I meet someone for the first time in a bar, I usually wouldn't use です unless they are obviously much older than me.

とにかく、Natsukoさん:゛夏子さん゛と書いてもういいですか?

There are numerous ways to write this name. If you don't know how to write it, just use katakana.

One more thing, you shouldn't be using "とにかく" here, as it basically means "let's put that matter aside, let's move on, anyway, etc." You should use "ところで" which means "also, by the way, etc.".

mikuji
Established Presence

Postby mikuji » August 1st, 2006 9:54 am

Thank you for your replies -

Bueller-san Space ALC seems a fantastic resource. I will use it extensively.

I agree I should have translated 'aete yokatta' as ' I am glad I had the chance to meet you' - 'can/able' are ambiguous words in English.

I know what you say about circumstances. In Italian we have the same issue with the familiar address form and the polite one and I am reminded of my son asking me when we could ever ask someone their name in familiar form since we have never met them before - we certainly would do so with a child.. and presumably in a bar..

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu

mikuji

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 8th, 2006 5:54 am

One of the most valuable insights I've gained about translation is that while it is important to closely follow the literal meaning of the sentence, the sentence dies if you don't place the most importance on the feeling of the sentence.
Thus, if it may literally be "I'm glad I was able to meet you," that may sound kind of awkward to me, who is use to saying "Glad to meet you." You still get the literal meaning of the sentence translating it the latter way, but you also grab the feeling of it, that being a natural, flowing one, instead of one that feels forced and awkward. I never fell in love with Japanese as much as when I started being able to do this. It made the language come alive for me.
That may have been somewhat of a self-rant, but I just wanted to say that you don't need to worry so much about the literal-literal meaning. Yeah, it's vital to know what it is, but you also need to be able to then do something with that literal meaning to bring the language to life.

Sorry! End of schpeel.
AKA パンク野郎

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » August 8th, 2006 6:32 am

I think you make a very good point, Brody. I used to get really annoyed when I heard people translate things without expressing the exact meaning, until I came to realise that what they were saying was actually closer to the way the speaker was thinking or feeling. Like you say, you have to understand the literal translation, but you will never become fluent if you are always looking to translate everything word for word.

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 8th, 2006 4:04 pm

I just wanted to post that because it's really what's keeping me interested in Japanese. Before I made this discovery it felt like I was just doing math problems and decoding. Now it feels just like English and is why I love studying Japanese more than ever.

It seems you, Airth, and Mikuji have a really good grasp on Japanese so it wasn't quite directed at you two but I wanted to give a little hope to any newbies viewing this who might be feeling like I used to feel.
AKA パンク野郎

mikuji
Established Presence

Postby mikuji » August 10th, 2006 3:33 pm

Brody-さん

Yes, literal translations are not the thing when you are trying to express yourself but can be useful in a learning situation. I wanted to find out if the expression used the potential 会えて which suggests 'How lucky I was to meet you!' rather than 'I happened to meet you and it was a good thing after all' as in 会いてよかった

I think 'glad to meet you ' is a bit ambiguous in this instance, though, as is could be something you say when just meeting whilst 会えてよかった implies you are parting and have had a good experience of the person already.

Again, how you would translate depends on whom you are saying this to. It could be as formal as: 'It was a real pleasure to meet you', to a casual 'It was great to see you'.

And again what you say is very true - the beauty of learning a language is to hit those expressions that you can never literally translate!

読んで ようかった, Brody-さん

有難う ございます

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”