Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

nan ji desu ka

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 24th, 2006 4:44 am

Brody wrote:Yes, I did overlook those vital aspects.

Sorry!

Where is it that men use わ? Kyushu?

And as for の, I meant in the informal type of speech. Yeah, it probably would be girlish if you ended polite sentences with の.

Also, now that I think about it, how about dropping だ in informal speech? It seems that's a pretty definite distinction between male and female speech, being that women don't use it at the end after nouns and な-adj.'s.

わ in men's speech is Kansai-ben (only Osaka-ben?), but yeah, like other Western Japanese words, it might extend out to Kyushu as well.

CrazySwayzee
Been Around a Bit

Postby CrazySwayzee » August 29th, 2006 1:22 am

perhaps you should say arigato gozaimasu after you get learn the time as well?

saying thank you seems to always go a long way in politeness no matter what language your speaking.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 29th, 2006 2:12 am

Very good advice, Swayzee. "Thank you" is probably the most important phrase to learn in any language.
AKA パンク野郎

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 29th, 2006 4:09 am

CrazySwayzee wrote:perhaps you should say arigato gozaimasu after you get learn the time as well?

saying thank you seems to always go a long way in politeness no matter what language your speaking.

I think "sumimasen" might be better than "arigatou" in this "thank you" situation. Telling someone the time probably isn't important enough to warrant an "arigatou".

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 29th, 2006 6:03 am

Still, it's important to show a polite air, even if it's wrong. But yes, I stand corrected, sumimasen would be more natural.
(For anyone wondering, I think you use "sumimasen" because you've made the person go to the trouble of doing you a favor. Japanese people are much more conscious of this than English speakers, I think.)
AKA パンク野郎

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 29th, 2006 7:38 am

Brody wrote:Still, it's important to show a polite air, even if it's wrong. But yes, I stand corrected, sumimasen would be more natural.
(For anyone wondering, I think you use "sumimasen" because you've made the person go to the trouble of doing you a favor. Japanese people are much more conscious of this than English speakers, I think.)

Using "sumimasen" instead of "arigatou" (when appropriate) will get praise LAVISHED on you, because most foreigners throw arigatou's around left and right.

Oh, your Japanese is so good!

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 29th, 2006 6:13 pm

Heh, heh. You mean they'll be telling the truth this time?
AKA パンク野郎

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 30th, 2006 3:05 am

Brody wrote:Heh, heh. You mean they'll be telling the truth this time?

Yeah... It's unbelievable.

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » September 4th, 2006 11:37 am

LBRapid -
Many thanks for that awesome link!!
www.jisho.org/sentences/

seasurfer
Been Around a Bit

Re: nan ji desu ka

Postby seasurfer » September 4th, 2006 2:21 pm

japkid wrote:As far as I know nan ji desu ka means
what is the time?

ha, just to add something, nan ji desu ka (何字ですか。) can also means what word it it?

CrazySwayzee
Been Around a Bit

Postby CrazySwayzee » September 5th, 2006 2:50 am

Bueller_007 wrote:
Brody wrote:Still, it's important to show a polite air, even if it's wrong. But yes, I stand corrected, sumimasen would be more natural.

Using "sumimasen" instead of "arigatou" (when appropriate) will get praise LAVISHED on you, because most foreigners throw arigatou's around left and right.

would sumimasen or a "more polite" version of arigatou (domo arigatou, arigatou gozaimasu) get more praise?

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » September 5th, 2006 3:59 am

CrazySwayzee wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:

would sumimasen or a "more polite" version of arigatou (domo arigatou, arigatou gozaimasu) get more praise?

Well, the issue here isn't really with flat out politeness. The issue is knowing the subtle differences between すみません and ありがとう and when it's more appropriate to use which. It shows you've taken the time to learn and come to understand those little details. Native speaker's will likely appreciate that more than an "I'll just be as polite as possible" approach since it takes more time and effort to get to know things like that.

For example, it would be more appropriate to use すみません for someone giving you directions to get to somewhere. ありがとう would be more appropriate if they actually took the trouble of taking you there themselves.

Of course this isn't just limited to すみません and ありがとう.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”