a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

i and na adjectives

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

akira17
New in Town

i and na adjectives

Postby akira17 » July 27th, 2006 12:42 pm

I'm confused. When do I use "na" and when do I not use "na"? :?

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: i and na adjectives

Postby Bueller_007 » July 27th, 2006 1:32 pm

akira17 wrote:I'm confused. When do I use "na" and when do I not use "na"? :?

There are usually said to be two classes of adjectives:
"~i" adjectives (形容詞)
and
"~na adjectives (形容動詞)

There are actually other kinds of adjectives too, but we won't get into those here.

Usually--and I emphasize that this is a generalization--"~i" adjectives are KUN-YOMI words. They use the Japanese pronunciation of the kanji. This means that they are often single-kanji words, with one or two hiragana at the end. For example, 暑い (hot), 暖かい, (warm), 涼しい (cool), 寒い (cold).

"~na" is generally used for ON-YOMI words (using imported Chinese pronunciation) and foreign words. For example, 難解な (difficult to understand), 複雑な (complicated), 無理な (impossible), イージーな (easy).

There are exceptions, and some words, like 大きい/大きな can use both, but that's basically as good an explanation as you'll get. In the beginner stage, you won't have a clue about kanji and kun-yomis and on-yomis, so basically, you have to remember them all individually.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
akira17
New in Town

Re: i and na adjectives

Postby akira17 » July 27th, 2006 1:41 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:
akira17 wrote:I'm confused. When do I use "na" and when do I not use "na"? :?

There are usually said to be two classes of adjectives:
"~i" adjectives (形容詞)
and
"~na adjectives (形容動詞)

There are actually other kinds of adjectives too, but we won't get into those here.

Usually--and I emphasize that this is a generalization--"~i" adjectives are KUN-YOMI words. They use the Japanese pronunciation of the kanji. This means that they are often single-kanji words, with one or two hiragana at the end. For example, 暑い (hot), 暖かい, (warm), 涼しい (cool), 寒い (cold).

"~na" is generally used for ON-YOMI words (using imported Chinese pronunciation) and foreign words. For example, 難解な (difficult to understand), 複雑な (complicated), 無理な (impossible), イージーな (easy).

There are exceptions, and some words, like 大きい/大きな can use both, but that's basically as good an explanation as you'll get. In the beginner stage, you won't have a clue about kanji and kun-yomis and on-yomis, so basically, you have to remember them all individually.

Well explained. Thank you :)

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”