a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Bueller's SAQ #1 Aspect: する vs. している

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Bueller's SAQ #1 Aspect: する vs. している

Postby Bueller_007 » July 19th, 2006 6:03 pm

Out of boredom, and in order to practice my Japanese-English translation skills a bit, I thought I'd start regularly adding little tidbits from the Space ALC website: frequently asked questions about Japanese grammar, vocab, etc.

Since nobody asked for an answer to these questions, let's call this series "Bueller's Seldom-Asked Questions".

Today's SAQ is about aspect:
http://home.alc.co.jp/db/owa/jpn_npa?stage=2&sn=32

--

How are these sentences different?
1) "毎日歯を磨きます"
2) "毎日歯を磨いています"

"毎日歯を磨きます" and "毎日歯を磨いています" both represent a repetitive action, habit, etc. Although it is difficult to sense the difference between the two in this context, this doesn't mean that they have exactly the same meaning.

When only such phrases as "毎日" or "毎朝", are used, the difference between "〜する" and "〜ている" is not apparent. However, the difference between the two becomes clear in the following examples:

これからは毎日歯を磨きます。(OK!)
 これからは毎日歯を磨いています。(NO!)

3年前からずっと毎日歯を磨きます。(NO!)
 3年前からずっと毎日歯を磨いています。(OK!)

From this, we can say that in the case of "毎日〜している", we know that the habit/trend exists now, but it is not clear if it will continue into the future. When using "毎日〜する", we know that the habit/trend exists now, but it is not clear if it existed in the past.

"毎日〜している" represents something that wecan see happening, whereas "毎日〜する" is more of a statement about general trends than actual occurences. For example, the phrase "アメンボが水の上を走っている" means that "a water strider is [actually now] skimming across the surface of the water", whereas the phrase "アメンボは水の上を走る" means "water striders [have a tendency to] skim across the surface of the water".

--

So, I guess, basically, "毎日歯を磨きます" means something between "I brush my teeth every day" and "[I expect that] I will continue to brush my teeth every day". "毎日歯を磨いています" means something between "I brush my teeth every day" and "I have been brushing my teeth every day".

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » July 19th, 2006 10:06 pm

Maybe you could do a follow up on aspect vs tense. :mrgreen:
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 20th, 2006 1:40 am

Jason wrote:Maybe you could do a follow up on aspect vs tense. :mrgreen:

Hmmm. Yes. I guess for those who don't know, "tense" refers to the actual time that something happened (in relation to when the speaker talks about it). Grammatically speaking, "tense" requires a verb inflection.

"Aspect" refers to how the event is related to the passage of time itself. Aspect always includes tense, but not the other way around.

There are two tenses in English: present (to eat) and past (ate). Future is not a tense because the verb does not inflect. We merely add a "will" or "is going to". There are two aspects in English: progressive (to be eating), and perfect (to have eaten).

In Japanese, I think the jury is still out on how to classify tense vs. aspect. But it's generally said that there are two tenses: present (食べる) and past (食べた). And one aspect that I don't know the name for, but is likely called "progressive": 〜ている/〜てある Those are probably two different aspects, now that I think about it.

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » July 30th, 2006 4:17 am

Nice translation, Bueller_007. That makes a lot of sense. And thanks for taking the time to introduce that part of Space ALC, as in the past I've only ever used it to get examples of word usage. I still struggle at times with the progressive tense when talking about the past or on the occasions it's used with conditionals. Anyway, thank you for making the effort to spread your 'Seldom Asked Questions'...

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”