a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Yaru and Suru

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

KeithH
Been Around a Bit

Yaru and Suru

Postby KeithH » June 23rd, 2006 3:35 pm

Could someone please explain the difference between them? I feel like I've heard yaru used more in colloquial expressions and of course suru being used to create noun+suru verbs. Does anyone have additional insight? Thanks!

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » June 23rd, 2006 7:05 pm

Both "suru" and "yaru" mean "to do." "Yaru" can also mean "to give (to someone/thing lower than yourself). There are 2 big differences between them:

1) You can't use "yaru" in place of "suru" for "noun+suru" verbs.
2) Some Japanese people consider "yaru" to be quite rude/vulgar. This seems to differ quite a bit from person to person though. When in doubt, use "suru."
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Bucko
Expert on Something

Postby Bucko » June 24th, 2006 12:58 am

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 25th, 2006 9:32 am

Bucko wrote:Here's a good explanation:

http://nihongo.3yen.com/2005-04-21/diff ... tween-and/

That's a pretty good explanation, yes.

One thing that is missing is this:
やる can mean "to send someone/something to a far-off place":
息子を戦場へやる ("to send one's son to war")

One other (X-rated) point to remember is that やる can also mean "to do" in the same sexual sense as the English "to do".

Like the line from "Kill Bill" where the old pervert is talking to Gogo Yubari before he gets gutted. It's something like:

あたし、やりたいの? ("Do you want to do me?")
ええ、やりたい。("Yes. I do.")

You can't use "suru" like this.

But generally, "suru" is much more flexible than "yaru" and when it doubt, that's definitely what you should be using.

Bucko
Expert on Something

Postby Bucko » June 26th, 2006 3:00 am

Bueller_007 wrote:One thing that is missing is this:

Thanks for this. I'm just writing a report about the Italian movie 'Life is Beautiful', now I can use this word to describe how the people were sent to the prison camp. I hope it's correct!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 26th, 2006 5:06 am

Bucko wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:One thing that is missing is this:

Thanks for this. I'm just writing a report about the Italian movie 'Life is Beautiful', now I can use this word to describe how the people were sent to the prison camp. I hope it's correct!

I'm not sure if やる is the kind of word you would use in a report. Even in this case. And, again, I'm not sure, but it might imply rightful ownership of the prisoners by the (Nazis?) (I haven't seen the movie.)

You might want to try 送る.

I'm not sure the proper word to use in this case, really.

In any case, you should probably be using the passive voice, which sounds more sympathetic towards the victims.

Bucko
Expert on Something

Postby Bucko » June 26th, 2006 7:11 am

Bueller_007 wrote:I'm not sure if やる is the kind of word you would use in a report. Even in this case. And, again, I'm not sure, but it might imply rightful ownership of the prisoners by the (Nazis?) (I haven't seen the movie.)

In any case, you should probably be using the passive voice, which sounds more sympathetic towards the victims.

Well I lied when I said it was a report. It's just a journal entry where I wrote a 'report' (i.e. a review) about that movie, which my Japanese teacher corrects. I thought about using the passive voice too, but since I haven't formally studied it yet I thought I'd just leave it out and see what my teacher says.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 26th, 2006 8:00 am

Bucko wrote:
Bueller_007 wrote:I'm not sure if やる is the kind of word you would use in a report. Even in this case. And, again, I'm not sure, but it might imply rightful ownership of the prisoners by the (Nazis?) (I haven't seen the movie.)

Well I lied when I said it was a report. It's just a journal entry where I wrote a 'report' (i.e. a review) about that movie, which my Japanese teacher corrects. I thought about using the passive voice too, but since I haven't formally studied it yet I thought I'd just leave it out and see what my teacher says.

Wicked good.

Try やる then. I'm eager to know if it can be used in this case.

henway
New in Town

missing definition of yaru

Postby henway » July 5th, 2006 8:59 pm

No one points out yaru is also used for "to feed" something or an animal.

You feed your pet with yaru and water your plants with yaru. I can only assume you fertilize with yaru.

It has to be to used on something non-human, so if applied to a human it is specifically debasing them.
1992 Monbusho-Nagoya Student

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » July 5th, 2006 9:55 pm

Well, all that falls under "to give."
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: missing definition of yaru

Postby Bueller_007 » July 6th, 2006 9:11 am

henway wrote:It has to be to used on something non-human, so if applied to a human it is specifically debasing them.

That's not true. You use やる when you say that you're giving a child. You also use it when you want somebody to give something to you.

I think Jason's post covered all this.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”