a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Easy peace?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Solvi
Established Presence

Easy peace?

Postby Solvi » June 20th, 2006 11:07 pm

I found a guitar strap with some Japanese writing on it, and I bought it out of curiosity, I wanted to find out what it said. It has 楽平和 written on it, and Babel Fish gave me the translation "easy peace". Is this correct? I also found out that with a little imagination it might mean "turn down the volume" - if I use some of the other meanings of the kanji... :P

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Easy peace?

Postby Bueller_007 » June 21st, 2006 10:25 am

Sølvi wrote:I found a guitar strap with some Japanese writing on it, and I bought it out of curiosity, I wanted to find out what it said. It has 楽平和 written on it, and Babel Fish gave me the translation "easy peace". Is this correct? I also found out that with a little imagination it might mean "turn down the volume" - if I use some of the other meanings of the kanji... :P

楽 in this case probably means music, but could mean comfort,ease or happiness
平 means calm/peace
和 means peace/harmony

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » June 21st, 2006 5:19 pm

Yeah, I looked up the kanji and found their meanings, but I still don't understand what the whole phrase means. All I know is that the last two kanji mean "peace" when they stand together.

Also, it would be interesting to learn the reading of the phrase.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 22nd, 2006 6:45 am

Sølvi wrote:Yeah, I looked up the kanji and found their meanings, but I still don't understand what the whole phrase means. All I know is that the last two kanji mean "peace" when they stand together.

Also, it would be interesting to learn the reading of the phrase.

It's not a phrase. Which is why I chose not to group the last kanji together. It most likely represents three separate thoughts: Music/Comfort, Peace, Harmony

And unless the strap was manufactured by a Japanese company, I wouldn't be surprised if it were Chinese, not Japanese writing. The West has an obsession with Chinese writing. You can tell if it's Chinese by looking carefully at the first kanji. In Japanese, it is written as: 楽 and in Chinese as: 樂.

As for pronunciation, even if it is Japanese, it's most likely pronounced using the (Chinese) on'yomi:
楽 = raku
平 = hei
和 = wa

But because it's not a real Japanese phrase/word, I can't say this for sure.

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » June 22nd, 2006 10:35 am

The strap is white with a red filled circle on it, so I suppose it's Japanese... But even though it's not a phrase - at least I now can rest assured that it has a positive meaning :)

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 25th, 2006 7:28 am

Sølvi wrote:The strap is white with a red filled circle on it, so I suppose it's Japanese... But even though it's not a phrase - at least I now can rest assured that it has a positive meaning :)

Yes, stories abound about people who've gotten the wrong kanji tattooed on them.

The best one is this:
The person intends to get 恋人 (koibito, lover) tattooed on their arm, but the tattoo artist accidentally writes 変人 (henjin, strange person).

henway
New in Town

Bad koibito

Postby henway » July 5th, 2006 8:54 pm

Yeah, here in San Diego I ran across a guy with Henjin tatooed on his arm and asked him if he knew. He responded a bit sheepishly that it was a mistake. I didn't put the 2+2 to figure out he was trying to to put koibito on instead--I was hung up thinking he was wanting to point out he was on the "hen" side...
1992 Monbusho-Nagoya Student

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Bad koibito

Postby Bueller_007 » July 6th, 2006 9:15 am

henway wrote:Yeah, here in San Diego I ran across a guy with Henjin tatooed on his arm and asked him if he knew. He responded a bit sheepishly that it was a mistake. I didn't put the 2+2 to figure out he was trying to to put koibito on instead--I was hung up thinking he was wanting to point out he was on the "hen" side...

In a place like Cali, I imagine there'd be enough Chinese and Japanese people running around that it wouldn't go unnoticed either.

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”