Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

So, how's Japanese compare to other languages?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Re: English

Postby maxiewawa » August 26th, 2006 4:38 am

I think one of the reasons English is so complicated is that it is so widespread. It's spoken all over the world, so of course it becomes warped in strange ways. But one of the advantages of this is that it's easy to get into an English speaking environment: You can go almost anywhere in the world and find an English book/movie/newspaper whatever. The 'rules' in English are thus easier to pick up.

As Japanese spreads throughout the world, I'm sure this will happen too. Already, you hear 先生たち talking about how words are different in different contexts. (And not just honorific/plain differences)

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 26th, 2006 6:21 am

Quite true. Yet I wonder how widespread Japanese will become...English may eventually eat up all other languages.
AKA パンク野郎

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 26th, 2006 6:36 am

Brody wrote:Quite true. Yet I wonder how widespread Japanese will become...English may eventually eat up all other languages.

I've heard two conflicting stories about this:

1) Chinese is now the most used language on the Internet.
2) If 1) is not true now, then it will be true by 2007.

China is going to swallow us all.

Damn you, ChinesePod!

francis1989
Been Around a Bit

Postby francis1989 » August 27th, 2006 3:37 am

Brody wrote:
    Quite true. Yet I wonder how widespread Japanese will become...English may eventually eat up all other languages. I've heard two conflicting stories about this:
    1) Chinese is now the most used language on the Internet

no, english is the most used language in the internet, but yes, chinese and japanese are really going to swallow us, English is a required language to know by modern world, but in the future, we are going to need japanese, chinese, maybe thai, english is gonna fall someday, and I know it`ll be really soon... :mrgreen:
sorry if I offended anyone...
Francisco-san

Yoroshiku o-negai shimasu

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 28th, 2006 10:09 pm

Interesting...I had no idea about Chinese. Is that just because so many more people speak Chinese?

I think English still has the best chance of becoming the "world language" if such is ever possible. It is becoming a standard language for many professions (pilots, business, some medical fields) and is the most widespread language (as in number of countries where it is spoken). I think it is also the most popular language (well, I mean in terms of "fad" appeal; it seems to be the hot language to know right now, especially because of the entertainment and what not coming from the US).

Who knows? Probably unpredictable. Maybe we'll all be speaking Inuit in a couple hundred years.
AKA パンク野郎

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 29th, 2006 4:19 am

Brody wrote:Who knows? Probably unpredictable. Maybe we'll all be speaking Inuit in a couple hundred years.

Speaking of native people, just as a little aside, I was reading in Kyoto Journal that there are now "definitely less than" EIGHT native speakers of Ainu left in the world.

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 29th, 2006 6:01 am

"definitely less than" EIGHT native speakers of Ainu left in the world.

If it's that few, couldn't they have just given the exact number?
AKA パンク野郎

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 29th, 2006 7:35 am

Brody wrote:
"definitely less than" EIGHT native speakers of Ainu left in the world.

If it's that few, couldn't they have just given the exact number?

Haha. You'd think so...

The context is that they did a survey a few years back and apparently there were only eight then. They were all quite old. Since then, I guess some of them have died, but the guy speaking wasn't sure how many, so he just said "definitely less than eight".

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 29th, 2006 6:15 pm

So I guess old Ainu are hard to track? Did he forget where they were? They didn't leave a forwarding address?

Just funny; seems like something I'd do.

That's sad that there's only eight. I think more people speak that Elf language from Lord of the Rings that speak Ainu.
AKA パンク野郎

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » August 30th, 2006 3:08 am

Brody wrote:So I guess old Ainu are hard to track? Did he forget where they were? They didn't leave a forwarding address?

Just funny; seems like something I'd do.

That's sad that there's only eight. I think more people speak that Elf language from Lord of the Rings that speak Ainu.

Well, those are native speakers of Ainu. There are lots of non-native Ainu speakers, relatively speaking.

And the guy they were interviewing was a Native Canadian. Either that or his half-Ainu wife... I can't remember. They weren't professional "Ainu-trackers", if you will.

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » August 30th, 2006 6:14 am

Heh, didn't mean to make Ainu sound like reindeer, in "tracking" them.
Probably very similar to some of the Native American languages. I doubt there are many native speakers anymore.
AKA パンク野郎

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”