a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Using multiple adjectives

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

SGenier
New in Town

Using multiple adjectives

Postby SGenier » May 23rd, 2006 7:17 pm

I am confused about usage of multiple adjective. Can somebody clarify this ?

In beginner lesson 22, it is said that to use more than one い-adjective, you have to change the final い of all but the last adjective to くて. However, it is also said that "You can also string multiple adjectives successively in any order in any form".

Which usage is correct and in which circumstances ?
Is the くて only mandatory in formal speech ? or when used with です ?

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Re: Using multiple adjectives

Postby Jason » May 24th, 2006 1:17 am

SGenier wrote:However, it is also said that "You can also string multiple adjectives successively in any order in any form".

I don't know where they got that idea. Because as far as I know, this is completely wrong.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » May 24th, 2006 5:22 am

yea, for いadj, drop the い and add くて. For な verbs just add で where な would come. Keep doing this until you get to the last adjective, which conjugates like normal. Also keep in mind that the adjectives techincally have to all be positive or negative, thus you can't say the "quiet, not clean boy." You would have to separate the adjectives, such as with が

here's an example: the big, lively town square: 大きくて、にぎやかな広場(ひろば)
switch them around: the lively, big town square: にぎやかで大きい広場。

as for combining positive and negative verbs, it may seem to be a limitation at first, that you would in effect have to say, the boy is quiet, but not clean" and not just "the quiet, not clean boy." I had this trouble at first; I was mad I had to do the extra work when I thought "quiet, not clean" was perfectly acceptable. But then I quickly realized we don't say that in English (i.e. saying "the quiet, not clean" anything sounds very unnatural), so I saw I wasn't doing extra work. A short cut I found was just to use the antonym of "not clean," that is, dirty. While this may carry negative connontations, it is in fact a positive adjective, at least in terms of conjugation, and makes life much easier.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Using multiple adjectives

Postby Bueller_007 » May 24th, 2006 8:39 am

SGenier wrote:I am confused about usage of multiple adjective. Can somebody clarify this ?

In beginner lesson 22, it is said that to use more than one い-adjective, you have to change the final い of all but the last adjective to くて. However, it is also said that "You can also string multiple adjectives successively in any order in any form".

Which usage is correct and in which circumstances ?
Is the くて only mandatory in formal speech ? or when used with です ?

That site is not written by a Korean-American who is not a native Japanese speaker.

Please check this comment on their message board.
http://tinyurl.com/h9p2y

A native Japanese speaker (user name = "Yokohama") comments about this.

SGenier
New in Town

Postby SGenier » May 24th, 2006 4:09 pm

Thank you, everyone!

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”