Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Your favourite or most usefull Japanese Saying

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 30th, 2006 2:13 pm

Satsujin wrote:Geee I just listened to the Animals 2 podcast and you are right they already used it. Like they said in the podcast the saying means somebody who doesn't know much about the world around them. I think that it could be translated as "a big fish in a little pond"

I believe "big fish in a little pond" means someone who is important, but only to a small group of people.

Charles
Established Presence

Postby Charles » May 30th, 2006 3:42 pm

I think the connotation is that the fish belongs in a larger pond, because the smaller one is more constricting. In other words, the person needs more room to develop their talents and grow.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » May 30th, 2006 5:22 pm

I think both are correct and I think both connotations are in "i no naka no kawazu". Both somebody who thinks they are really important because they don't know the context of the world and somebody who needs to experience new things to grow.

Although for the second one a closer saying in Japanese might be:

可愛い子には旅をさせる: "kawaii ko ni ha tabi wo saseru"

Anyway, it's interesting that a lot of sayings in Japanese have counterparts in English and vice-versa. Common sense is common sense no matter where in the world you are or what language you speak.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 31st, 2006 11:11 am

Charles wrote:I think the connotation is that the fish belongs in a larger pond, because the smaller one is more constricting. In other words, the person needs more room to develop their talents and grow.

So you're saying that "big fish" has a negative connotation? I'm not sure that's right. I don't think you'd ever say "That poor guy... He's a big fish in a little pond."

I've heard it used most frequently in regards to so-called "gifted" children. "Jimmy is class president, so he's a big fish in a little pond now, but just wait until he gets to university. Boy, is he in for a surprise." Something like that... The kid goes from being a hot-shot to a nobody.

Incidentally, there's a good Japanese phrase for this, and I guess this is the right thread for it:
鶏口牛後 (けいこうぎゅうご)
"It's better to be a chicken's mouth than a cow's behind."

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » June 1st, 2006 3:52 pm

The connotation is that the person thinks that they are the best but it is only relative to their own limited perception that they are the best. This is what gives the negative meaning. The ignorance of the big fish in the little pond thinking they are the best when in reality in the wider context they are nothing but a tadpole.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 3rd, 2006 4:03 am

Satsujin wrote:The connotation is that the person thinks that they are the best but it is only relative to their own limited perception that they are the best. This is what gives the negative meaning. The ignorance of the big fish in the little pond thinking they are the best when in reality in the wider context they are nothing but a tadpole.

You're right. That sounds much more like it.

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » June 5th, 2006 1:01 pm

Well,

I think we have beaten the frog in a well topic to a pulp now back to the new one:

左うちわ: hidari uchiwa

Any guesses????

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » June 5th, 2006 7:49 pm

I'm a beginner, but, is it something about a fan in the left-hand? Like maybe someone is up to something? Or being deceitful?

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » June 6th, 2006 1:01 pm

The literal meaning is a fan in the left hand but it has another meaning other than that.

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » June 6th, 2006 5:20 pm

I like Liz's guess. Sounds like you're hiding your face behind a fan, so being deceptive.

Or are fans normally meant to be in the right hand? Then it might mean doing something simple in the wrong way.

"uchiwa" with different kanji also means "a private matter, family circle, the inside", so could there be a double meaning in there?

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » June 7th, 2006 1:24 pm

Actully hidari no uchiwa means someone who is living a life a luxury. In other words somebody who has enough money that on a hot summer day they can just sit around with and fan themselves with there left hand.

Here is another good one for people trying to learn Japanese....

雨だれ石をうがつ : ama dare ishi wo ugatsu

amadare: raindrop

ugatsu: drill

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » June 7th, 2006 2:52 pm

Ah, that totally makes sense.

The rain and rock one ... something like:
Raindrops can drill though a rock.

I don't know what dare means except "who", but I'm not going to revert to my dictionary yet, darn it. It means that patience and persistence can achieve seemingly impossible things.

<edit>
Oh duh, I didn't read your vocab list properly. There is no "dare".

Cruxay
New in Town

Postby Cruxay » June 12th, 2006 2:12 pm

"mada o-hitori desu ka?" - Are you still single?

personally I find this would be the most useful for anyone planning to study abroad. :wink:

(sry just formatted the comp, my language pack stuff isnt up yet lol)

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”