Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Kanji Learning Process?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 7th, 2006 10:38 pm

Personally, I find in easier to just focus on the elements of the kanji that make them sound the way they do. As far as on'yomi go, there are a lot of regular elements that are used to give them the kanji their phonetic properties.

i definitely agree.
Though when I learned kanji, I didn't actively try to learn them that way, it just kind of happpened. The same with radicals. And I think coming to that realization on my own was an asset for learning kanji. Up until last year I hadn't opened a japanese book in about 5 years. Yet, most of the kanji knowledge was still there... so I must have done something right.

My Japanese classes were all very weak in kanji, so I studied them a lot independently.

And I think that the key to my successful kanji learning was simply writing them over and over and over. whenever i had 5 minutes to spare. in h.s. it was easy to look like i was paying attention in one class, while practicing japanese in another.

Beyond what's taught in your Japanese textbook (and if you're not using some sort of text, you really should consider it. it gives your studies a framework. and it's motivational to work from beginning to end of something).... Learning kanji in context - I would learn the kanji that related to other subjects i was studying, and add those into my notes (if i was indeed paying attention to that classes lecture) Start learning the words on the memos that you get at work, or whatever papers you have on your desk.

Everyone has a different learning style, and it will take time to learn what's right for you. And don't forget that Japanese kids spend about 9 years learning all of the 2000 joyo kanji.

Immacolata
New in Town

Postby Immacolata » December 18th, 2006 12:52 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:
Immacolata wrote:That is an understatement. It is a marvel.

As I am speaking I have stopped writing stories from a to Wa. Instead when I notice that I encounter certain readingds often during my practice I sit down and write a story that fits the reading. So I jump from ka to chi to jyo to rei and back to ki. It makes the proces very much bearable AS WELL as rewarding since I forcus on elements I need now, not later :)

Personally, I find in easier to just focus on the elements of the kanji that make them sound the way they do. As far as on'yomi go, there are a lot of regular elements that are used to give them the kanji their phonetic properties.

刃=nin
忍=nin
認=nin

etc.

I find that to be the most effective way, for me at least. As an added bonus, whenever I see a kanji I don't know, I can usually guess the on'yomi and look it up in the dictionary on the first or second try. (Sometimes it takes more than one try, because the sound changes slightly, like 加=ka, but 賀=ga.)

Well I do focus on that too. In my chaining I make sure to try and weave the grouped elements together in my story, like the NIN-bits you just wrote above.

Writing kanjis over and over will work. Japanese school children have shown us that it is possible. But it isn't very elegant, I prefer the chaining method. Its still hard work, but it is SMART work :)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 19th, 2006 1:12 am

annie wrote:Learning kanji in context - I would learn the kanji that related to other subjects i was studying, and add those into my notes (if i was indeed paying attention to that classes lecture) Start learning the words on the memos that you get at work, or whatever papers you have on your desk.

We seem to agree on a lot of things...

As for learning kanji in context, I recently picked up a copy of 現代用語の基礎知識, and it's absolutely been the best purchase that I've made in the last few years. It's designed for Japanese people who want to be able to read the newspaper (because Japanese newspapers use their own abbreviations and specialized terms, like a version of l33t-speak, and if you don't know what something means, they rarely give you any background into it.) Like 2300 yen, it's 1700 pages or so, all divided up into chapters about the newest developments in chemistry, politics, the environment, teenage slang, internet slang, manga... Whatever you're into.

No holding back on the kanji there. There's not even any furigana for some of the crazy-ass rare non-Joyo kanji. So it's probably the best investment I've ever made for learning kanji.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » December 19th, 2006 8:52 am

which means that we must be right.

Thanks for the recommendation. 現代用語の基礎知識 sounds great. I'll look for it the next time I'm in town. I've kinda stopped reading the newspaper and am just skimming it instead. I've grown complacent since the JLPT.

i could use the teenage slang too. I don't know what the kids are talking about half the time.

I've also heard that 国語便覧 is a good vocab, kanji, etc. reference book for those who aren't at the newspaper reading level.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 19th, 2006 10:09 am

annie wrote:

which means that we must be right.

Thanks for the recommendation. 現代用語の基礎知識 sounds great. I'll look for it the next time I'm in town. I've kinda stopped reading the newspaper and am just skimming it instead. I've grown complacent since the JLPT.

i could use the teenage slang too. I don't know what the kids are talking about half the time.

I've also heard that 国語便覧 is a good vocab, kanji, etc. reference book for those who aren't at the newspaper reading level.

The 若者語 section is quite interesting.

By far, the best word in there is ギャランドゥー, which, apparently, means the trail of hair on a man's stomach from the belly button down. The "happy trail".

I've added most of the new words to edict.

JonB
Expert on Something

My way to practice

Postby JonB » December 20th, 2006 5:41 am

Is to read the subway signs - but then I live in Tokyo and they are in Kanji, Kana and Romanji.

I think one mistake a lot of people make (me too at first) is to write all the readings down on the back and try and learn as one. Rather as others say use context even if that means you have to right the kanji many times on different cards - good practice anyway!

JB

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”