Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese Reading and Writing, where to start?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rolsan428_497505
New in Town

Japanese Reading and Writing, where to start?

Postby rolsan428_497505 » March 12th, 2014 6:38 pm

HI, I have just finished the absolute beginner series season 1, but i do not know how to read or write in japanese, i only go off of romaji for right now but wanna start learning the other forms, where is a good starting ground/lesson plan? Where is it located on this site? Any additional help will be appreciated as well, arrigato gozaimasu japanese pod 101 and community! :)

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Re: Japanese Reading and Writing, where to start?

Postby mmmason8967 » March 13th, 2014 9:03 pm

My opinion is that it's best to learn how to write the kana and not just how to read them. It's actually quicker (I think) and if you can write them, you can read them, so learning to read takes no additional time at all. On top of that, when you know how to write the characters, you don't get confused by the similar-looking ones (for example, ね, れ and わ or め and ぬ) because you know how thye're put together.

The method that worked for me was the Kantan Kana video series. Get a pen and paper, start the video and copy everything the presenter does. Spend a few minutes practising after you've watched the video, then do the next one. I did the whole series over a weekend, and I'm not in any way specially gifted or talented at this kind of thing.

マイケル

Get 45% OFF
rolsan428_497505
New in Town

Postby rolsan428_497505 » March 17th, 2014 10:15 pm

ahh! Arrigato! thats exactly what i did, thanks for the info, the video series is really easy to follow, and writing it all down really makes it even more easy. I am about to start Katakana since i just finished Hiragana. Again, many thanks.

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Postby community.japanese » March 18th, 2014 8:29 am

Rolsan423 san,
Ganbatte kudasai.

マイケルさん、
Thank you again.
アドバイスをどうもありがとうございます。
Yuki 由紀

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”