Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Do you have to be fluent in Japanese if your an exchange...

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

tails1236551
New in Town

Do you have to be fluent in Japanese if your an exchange...

Postby tails1236551 » October 13th, 2010 7:46 pm

student?

I'm thinking about going over to Japan on an exchange progam but I'm not that fluent in the language. I'm sorry if it is a stupid question :?

Huskyjedi6458
New in Town

It's okay

Postby Huskyjedi6458 » February 14th, 2011 12:36 am

It's fine! I'm planning to do a exchange to. You'll pick up on the language fast, specially when you're surrounded by nothing but the language.
You won't need to be fluent, but a basic knowledge of the language is REALLY helpful. Btw, What program are you using for the exchage?

Get 40% OFF
tails1236551
New in Town

Postby tails1236551 » February 17th, 2011 8:52 pm

I'm not sure yet but my highschool said that they would sort it out by summer. what about you?

Grimslayer871681
New in Town

Postby Grimslayer871681 » March 20th, 2011 7:19 pm

I was thinking about the same.

I just got accepted to study there for a whole year, at the WASEDA university in Tokyo. I'll be doing the last year of my architecture studies there.
I still haven't got much info regarding the matter (my uni is pretty slow at sorting out formal paperwork/providing information) but I think the classes start there in September.

Which means I have roughly 5 months before moving there for a whole year, keeping in mind I'm still attending my normal classes here until June, and architecture is really time consuming.
I've picked up the japanese lessons starting from the beginner section about 10 or so days ago.

I'm doing a wooping 5 lessons per day, and while except for the Kanji I'm doing pretty fine, I don't think I'll reach a decent enough level in just 5 months, even at 5 lessons a day. So I'm hoping I can cover the holes with english when explaning my projects etc to the teachers and such...

Plus english isn't my mother tongue either. So I guess I can say that I'm pretty scared about the whole thing, a whole year, me alone (there's only one exchange spot so I'll be the only one going from my uni), not only living but studying the last grade of my studies.

While my joy and excitement over the thing greatly exceed my doubts and fears, any kind of calming words or advice are welcome.

Cheers from Barcelona, Spain.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”