a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Long-term work in Japan. Impossible?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

TetsuyaNomura
Been Around a Bit

Long-term work in Japan. Impossible?

Postby TetsuyaNomura » September 1st, 2010 4:13 pm

It seems like there is no way for Americans to live and and work in Japan long-term. Except for Peter先生 (he's so lucky...:cry:).
Everyone I have talked to (teachers, Japanese natives, colleagues) about this say it's nearly impossible (because of visas and companies reluctant to hire foreigners).

Do any Jpod members have any experience with trying to get a job in Japan (other than JET etcetc.)?

Also, how do you feel about the job market in Japan? Do you think it may become easier for foreigners to enter the country in the future due to the (sadly) shrinking population (or will these mainly be blue collar jobs given to Chinese/Korean workers)?

I would just like to hear everyone's perspective on this.

Barbs
New in Town

Postby Barbs » September 2nd, 2010 3:47 pm

I too have been wondering if it was possible for Americans to live and work long term in Japan. But yeah, like you said it seems very difficult.

I did come across this article http://www.focusjapan.com/025_112_focus_japan that seemed interesting if you plan on working in the IT field. It also pointed here http://www.careercross.com/en/ which seems to have quite a broad listing of a variety of bilingual jobs in Japan.

How likely it is to get one of these jobs and reside permanently in Japan is still unclear though.

Get 40% OFF
mutley
Been Around a Bit

Postby mutley » September 2nd, 2010 10:05 pm

It seems possible, but obviously a lot harder than it would be in your own country.
The three main issues seem to be:
Language- For some jobs a very high level isn't necessary e.g. if you work mostly alone or you are an expert in your field. For the vast majority though, where you might be competing with a Japanese national (who probably also speaks good english), a level well above JLPT 1 will be neccessary

Visa- Not having one already is a huge disadvantage. Your skills will have to be really good to make a company consider you over someone who doesn't need sponsorship.

Experience- There seem to be a lot more jobs targeted at billinguals that are mid-career i.e. involve a lot of experience in your own country first.

It depends a lot what area you want to work in and I guess it's hard for anyone to say for sure, only from personal experience.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 6th, 2010 2:39 am

Barbs wrote: It also pointed here http://www.careercross.com/en/ which seems to have quite a broad listing of a variety of bilingual jobs in Japan.

How likely it is to get one of these jobs and reside permanently in Japan is still unclear though.

Thanks for the link. http://www.daijobs.com is also a good one.

My suggestion to everyone is work on your Japanese to pass the N1 level. Also start studying vocab related to your major so you'll be fluent in your field. At the very least, you can put the N1 certificate on your resume to show you're more valuable to a potential employer.

Another way is to get hired in your country and then be transferred to their overseas offices.

kayumochi
New in Town

Postby kayumochi » September 6th, 2010 5:37 pm

I was there for 15 years. Once you get there, opportunities open up. You can't plan this all out. Just go.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 7th, 2010 12:38 am

kayumochi wrote:I was there for 15 years. Once you get there, opportunities open up. You can't plan this all out. Just go.

Really? I've got a year and a half left on my visa and struggling to find any type of job to pay my bills. It's motivating me to study even harder to pass the test in Dec.

kayumochi
New in Town

Postby kayumochi » September 7th, 2010 12:53 am

untmdsprt wrote:
kayumochi wrote:I was there for 15 years. Once you get there, opportunities open up. You can't plan this all out. Just go.

Really? I've got a year and a half left on my visa and struggling to find any type of job to pay my bills. It's motivating me to study even harder to pass the test in Dec.

You may want to consider that your "struggling" is holding you back. That isn't exactly the kind of energy an employer would want.

While I wouldn't play down the importance of Japanese skills, there are plenty of foreigners out there who have acquired them but don't have the Japanese employment they want. The Japanese language is simply another tool in the tool belt. You can't say "I speak Japanese and so am qualified for a job." You could, however, be good at sales, IT or accounting AND have superior language skills and thus be of some use to an employer ...

Back to "energy": I know two foreigners who work for the same Japanese company and have both been there many, many years. One is stuck in the same position he has been in forever. The other is now a VP. What is the difference? Is it language skills? Nope. The VP has an energy that propelled him to the top. The other guy is a wet rag with a engineering diploma and excellent Japanese skills . But he is grateful for having a job that pays the bills however and allows him to stay in Japan.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » September 12th, 2010 2:12 pm

kayumochi wrote:
You may want to consider that your "struggling" is holding you back. That isn't exactly the kind of energy an employer would want.

Since you KNOW me so well why don't you give advice of how not to struggle? Please go ahead and tell me everything that I've done wrong. I'm sure others want to know exactly how not to do this too.

Have you seen me in an interview? Have you seen my resume? Please enlighten everyone.

andrewjschaub6371
New in Town

Postby andrewjschaub6371 » January 11th, 2011 10:22 pm

I am currently living in Japan serving in the military. I would like to separate in Japan and goto school here and do IT. My issue is finding "entry-level" work in Japan. Some have suggested that I go back to America first, work a few years and then come back to Japan. Though it seems like if I went back to America I wouldn't end up coming back here. I've got the GI bill and I've found out that Sophia Univeristy will accept me, as will Temple University. I'm wondering if I should just go for it, goto school in Japan, have the US Government pay for it, and try to network my way while going to school.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » January 12th, 2011 7:43 pm

Bit of an old thread, but I don't think the language issue can be overstated enough really. Japanese people have exactly the same problem when they come to England. I know it feels like a massive achievement when you learn 2000 kanji and pass N1, but it's still a long, long way from being on an equal footing with natives. If you think of the reverse situation in your home country and then factor in how obsessed Japanese companies are with image and the relative lack of equality in the workplace, it becomes a bit easier to understand.

andrewjschaub6371
New in Town

Postby andrewjschaub6371 » January 12th, 2011 7:51 pm

i've been in japan for 2 years now, and i wouldnt be starting school in Tokyo until 2013. So I figure by that time I'll have 4 years under my belt in studying Japanese. I currently live in northern Tohoku, Aomori. Therefore, a very small fraction of the local population here speaks English, compared to Tokyo so I do get a lot more practice. Though one weird side effect is that I'm developing spoken Japanese which is Nanbu-ben or Tsugaru-ben. Then when I get to Tokyo, I would like to spend 2 - 3 years to either pursue graduate studies or go for a 2nd bachelors, during which I can work on my Japanese some more, network, work at a partime job.

So I consider it "manageable". Also my friends here in Japan say that if it's an IT job, then native level Japanese isn't a necessity. The same thing can be said in America, which is why we have so many foreign workers from India, China, etc in our IT field.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » January 12th, 2011 8:01 pm

andrewjschaub6371 wrote:i've been in japan for 2 years now, and i wouldnt be starting school in Tokyo until 2013. So I figure by that time I'll have 4 years under my belt in studying Japanese. I currently live in northern Tohoku, Aomori. Therefore, a very small fraction of the local population here speaks English, compared to Tokyo so I do get a lot more practice. Though one weird side effect is that I'm developing spoken Japanese which is Nanbu-ben or Tsugaru-ben. Then when I get to Tokyo, I would like to spend 2 - 3 years to either pursue graduate studies or go for a 2nd bachelors, during which I can work on my Japanese some more, network, work at a partime job.

So I consider it "manageable". Also my friends here in Japan say that if it's an IT job, then native level Japanese isn't a necessity. The same thing can be said in America, which is why we have so many foreign workers from India, China, etc in our IT field.

Sorry, that was just a general reply to the topic. I'm not saying it's impossible though, and you have a plan, time to study, and no doubt the motivation as well, but a lot of the complaints you hear are from people who expect a job to be handed to them because they spent six years learning 100 kanji.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » January 13th, 2011 8:11 am

I agree with Javizy about the language part. I've been three years here myself, and I finally got fed up with not being able to speak the language that I've enrolled into a Japanese language school. I go 20 hours a week, Mon - Fri just to get my listening and speaking up to a better level.

You're also right about staying out of Tokyo if you want to avoid the English speakers. I rarely go anywhere near a station that's in the heart of Tokyo because of all the English speakers.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”