Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Teaching languages in Tokyo

Jobs in Japan, schools in Japan, Japanese visa questions, living in Japan, and more. If you're planning on studying or finding a job in Japan, get info here.

Moderators: Admin Team, Moderator Team

Sherlock
New in Town

Teaching languages in Tokyo

Postby Sherlock » June 22nd, 2010 4:28 pm

Konnichiwa Minnasan,

Could any of you help me? I'm trying to compile a list of all the language schools I could apply for in Tokyo.

I can teach French and English - preferably to adults, but don't mind teaching kids too.

As far as I know, Nova has a pretty bad reputation - is that correct?

I would love to hear from you if you have any ideas!

Thanks,

Sherlock

binz
Been Around a Bit

Postby binz » July 13th, 2011 8:50 am

I would also be interested in hearing what people feel are the tops choices for teaching in Japan. I am currently half way through my TEFL.

Get 47% OFF
niteelf8413
New in Town

Postby niteelf8413 » July 2nd, 2012 11:32 am

A bit late on this, but hopefully this will help:

Nova - no-go. Terrible reputation, money issues everywhere.
Gaba - mixed reviews. A lot of people complain, but mainly the complainers are those who just want a good-paying job and not passionate about teaching. There is a lot of complaints about having less lessons if the students like you less, but this is a no-brainer and not Gaba's fault. Gaba does do their contracts differently - you are not an employee, only a 'contractor'. So, no employee benefits like transport costs covered, no company health insurance, no paid time off. It's like a 'teacher-student' matchmaking service really.
Berlitz - Hearing nothing but good things about it, but not enough reviews to know if it's the best or not.
AEON - I keep hearing bad things.
Interac - Keep hearing worse things than AEON, but not as bad as Gaba.
JET - Seems to be the main one people go for. I haven't heard any raving reviews, but I haven't heard anything bad about it. I think it's the 'foot-in-the-door' sort of job placement.
ECC - Seen is recommended or at least suggested a few times, but no idea on what they're like. No bad reviews that I know of. I'm going to be looking into them later this year during their open employment seminar in my city.

I haven't got the full list on me, but these are the major ones I remember from the top of my head. Will post the rest a bit later.

Hope it helps!

team.relationships
Expert on Something

Postby team.relationships » July 2nd, 2012 4:54 pm

Hello Sherlock,

thank you for your comment. There are so many schools here in Tokyo that you could apply, but there is a lot of competition here comparing to other parts of Japan.

Thank you niteelf8413 for sharing that list with us. I am sure that binz also finds this useful.

As I said, there are so many.... so many, but sooooo many teaching jobs here in Tokyo. For me the best website to look for one is this:
http://tokyo.craigslist.jp/

I personally don't know much about the particular schools mentioned, so I can't say anything. What you really need to pay attention though is whether they require visa or provide one, whether they offer accommodation or not and pay your transportation expenses. A medical insurance plan would be ideal, but you can always enroll to the NHI sceme and pay your own insurance.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Stefania/JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”