Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Other common jobs in Japan for gaijin?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

annie
Expert on Something

Re: Other common jobs in Japan for gaijin?

Postby annie » April 9th, 2007 7:54 am

I've met people working in advertising, IT, banking/accounting;people who own hotels/bars, consultants/recruiters, people working for Toyota.

Some of them started in teaching, others were sent by their companies at home. It's not all English teachers out here, it's just that the English teachers and the non-English teachers don't seem to mingle much.

As for the great pay/bad pay/great hours/bad hours.... everyone has a different perspective. I prefer to get up at work in the morning, the guy across the hall would rather be able to party all night and go to work at 3. And compared to what jobs you've had at home you'll view work conditions here differently than someone else.

Robato
Been Around a Bit

Other common jobs in Japan for gaijin?

Postby Robato » April 18th, 2007 9:06 pm

Apart from language teaching.

Best jobs I could see while living in Tokyo were those who were posted to Japan from the States or Europe .Foreign companies sending folk over.

They are sent for a project could be 1 to 5 years or more.They get the best salaries , sometimes their mortgages paid for back home the rent paid in Japan the schools paid for the kids amazing deals --thats a very very good situation. also those working in banks and trading houses have a ton of money in Japan, some who work in the steel industry who are dealing, some top chefs from abroad----basically talent from elsewhere that is brought into Japan has the best situation from what i witnessed.They are not the 200,000 yen to 300,00 mark a month salary .
More like 800,000 yen a month ++++
lots of foreigners will be in the 3m to 4 m yen bracket for Englsh talking.

There is also those who make a go of a business could be their own English school. a pub or something not so many though and usually those who are married .

Some models who get it right can do very well.Those that are international have all the right bits and are paid a fortune.
Many hostesses in Japan and quite a few English teachers opt for that part time to make quicker money before getting out.

In short in Japan when you get into the working way you have to network as some say . 10 years of reading the Japan times job section will get you 99% nowhere in terms of a job move. Most jobs will come from who you know .

Most who are English teachers and are keen to stay will start to do univerity degrees MBA distance learning etc if they are looking for a career path they will try and aim for the uni jobs which are very cushy.

Translators, editors etc is another job option and the best will be paid pretty well.

Many talented people in Japan but unfortunately so many never really use their real talents. But if you are determined, network, have the push ,then anything is possible ohh and some good timing.

i love japan and would wish anyone going the best of luck.

In my case i didnt go for the money but for the culture, the language and the romance.
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”