a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Other common jobs in Japan for gaijin?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

animate
Been Around a Bit

Other common jobs in Japan for gaijin?

Postby animate » July 3rd, 2006 12:09 am

I've spent the last day or so reading over some of these posts on the forum here. First off, let me say--I love the podcast! I started looking for good podcasts right after I got my iPod last week, and this one has been the most fun, educational and entertaining. I love it.

Anyways, I've been surfing through these posts on teaching in Japan; something I've wanted to do for several years now. It's been my plan for what to do after college. I have to say, after reading some of these experiences, and others from other websites, it makes me nervous. I've read so many bad experiences; I don't want to go to Japan and not have any creative say in what I do in the classroom. Some of these for-profit schools (NOVA, AEON) seem pretty uptight and controlling. And your day ends at 9 PM? That's odd to a gaijin, but maybe it should be expected...

I guess it mostly bothered me because of what I have in my mind of how it would be like when I was there. I want to travel to Japan before I work there to see what it's like and to talk to people and see how they feel about me teaching in japan; I've heard so many contradictory reviews (the pay is good, the pay is bad, the hours are great, the hours are awful, the students are good, the students are annoying). I suppose it depends on your school and co-workers, as well as the children/classmates, too, but if anyone has any additional info as far as what I may not be understanding, I'd appreciate it.

Also: the "pimping" companies. I've heard people that teach private lessons in their own home live very good lives. I've heard stories firsthand from people who've made up to $75/hr teaching three days a week and travelling the country and meeting tons of people. That is what I'd like to do. I'd like to teach, and be taught too (to improve my Japanese) and have creative control and friendships with my students--and have plenty of time to travel and meet amazing people and see the sights. Am I being too picky?

Let's say I do teach through JET, or AEON--what do alot of peole do after they do that? Some that have good experiences go on to teach for more years, but what about those who dont do that, and who don't go back to the US or UK? I'd like to live in Japan for many years (assuming it's everything I hope it is), but I'm not sure I'd want to be teaching all of those years, so another job idea would be great. Any anecdotes you can share with me about yourself or others concerning options after teaching would be appreciated.

Again--I love the show! Thank you for any help in advance. じゃね!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: Other common jobs in Japan for gaijin?

Postby Bueller_007 » July 5th, 2006 10:07 am

animate wrote:I've spent the last day or so reading over some of these posts on the forum here. First off, let me say--I love the podcast! I started looking for good podcasts right after I got my iPod last week, and this one has been the most fun, educational and entertaining. I love it.

Anyways, I've been surfing through these posts on teaching in Japan; something I've wanted to do for several years now. It's been my plan for what to do after college. I have to say, after reading some of these experiences, and others from other websites, it makes me nervous. I've read so many bad experiences; I don't want to go to Japan and not have any creative say in what I do in the classroom. Some of these for-profit schools (NOVA, AEON) seem pretty uptight and controlling. And your day ends at 9 PM? That's odd to a gaijin, but maybe it should be expected...

I guess it mostly bothered me because of what I have in my mind of how it would be like when I was there. I want to travel to Japan before I work there to see what it's like and to talk to people and see how they feel about me teaching in japan; I've heard so many contradictory reviews (the pay is good, the pay is bad, the hours are great, the hours are awful, the students are good, the students are annoying). I suppose it depends on your school and co-workers, as well as the children/classmates, too, but if anyone has any additional info as far as what I may not be understanding, I'd appreciate it.

Also: the "pimping" companies. I've heard people that teach private lessons in their own home live very good lives. I've heard stories firsthand from people who've made up to $75/hr teaching three days a week and travelling the country and meeting tons of people. That is what I'd like to do. I'd like to teach, and be taught too (to improve my Japanese) and have creative control and friendships with my students--and have plenty of time to travel and meet amazing people and see the sights. Am I being too picky?

Let's say I do teach through JET, or AEON--what do alot of peole do after they do that? Some that have good experiences go on to teach for more years, but what about those who dont do that, and who don't go back to the US or UK? I'd like to live in Japan for many years (assuming it's everything I hope it is), but I'm not sure I'd want to be teaching all of those years, so another job idea would be great. Any anecdotes you can share with me about yourself or others concerning options after teaching would be appreciated.

Again--I love the show! Thank you for any help in advance. じゃね!

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=361

There's lots of money to be made in Japan, but eventually, you're going to have to face facts: all you will ever be is an English teacher. You have little to no future doing anything else, especially if you live outside the Tokyo area. If that's all that your ambitions amount to, then you'll be comfortable in Japan for the rest of your life.

My cousin eventually got a job with Mizuho Bank after 10 years in Japan. That's 10 years of teaching English, looking for something better.

You have to network in Japan. It really is WHO you know, not WHAT you know. One of my cousin's techniques was to join the Hash House Harriers: a running club made up (almost entirely) of non-English teacher expats. He has a pile of business cards that he's collected that's about 6 inches thick. And still, it took him TEN YEARS, IN TOKYO. Opportunities for foreigners are next to nil. If you're looking for long-term, fulfilling employment, look elsewhere.

If you just want money, move to Osaka, or better yet, Kyoto or Kobe, and suckle on the English-teaching teat for a while.

As for the students, they are what you make of them. Many of the middle-aged women there are there to be entertained, so get ready to do the "white monkey dance" (copyright mine). Many businessmen have no interest in being there, they're there because they're paid to be. Same goes for school kids. They go because mom says they have to. There are exceptions to these rules, of course, and those are the students that actually make the job somewhat enjoyable.

All of the big 4 schools are equally crappy. It doesn't really matter which one you pick. It depends more on the individual branch & boss that you get assigned to than the school itself. Most people agree that JET is the best way to go, if you have the time & patience. Otherwise, there are few complaints about AEON & ECC. NOVA has the worst rep, but it's the easiest job to get, and it's not as bad as people say. (It's MUCH larger than any of its competitors, so of course there are more disgruntled employees.)

Get 40% OFF
animate
Been Around a Bit

Postby animate » July 5th, 2006 7:10 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. It's much appreciated.

I'll probably visit once before I graduate from college, to get an idea of what it would be like, and then maybe I'll spend a few years teaching there and travelling and meeting people. I guess I have alot to think about. Anyways, thanks for the response!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 6th, 2006 9:41 am

animate wrote:Hey, thanks for the reply. It's much appreciated.

I'll probably visit once before I graduate from college, to get an idea of what it would be like, and then maybe I'll spend a few years teaching there and travelling and meeting people. I guess I have alot to think about. Anyways, thanks for the response!

Japan is a wonderful country, but the work situation for foreigners there is absolutely abysmal. Things open up if you have JLPT1 or JLPT2, but the situation is still not good.

It's worth visiting, for sure, and a couple years of your time teaching, (and who knows, you might find something better in that time), but don't get disappointed if you can't find lifetime employment there.

animate
Been Around a Bit

Postby animate » July 7th, 2006 3:35 am

Bueller_007 wrote:
animate wrote:Hey, thanks for the reply. It's much appreciated.

Japan is a wonderful country, but the work situation for foreigners there is absolutely abysmal. Things open up if you have JLPT1 or JLPT2, but the situation is still not good.

It's worth visiting, for sure, and a couple years of your time teaching, (and who knows, you might find something better in that time), but don't get disappointed if you can't find lifetime employment there.

Thanks, yeah--I was thinking of taking that JLPT's when I have the skill. I plan on minoring in Japanese when I transfer next semester, so that should help me. Thanks for all your info.

piculum
New in Town

Postby piculum » July 10th, 2006 11:47 am

Couldn't you also try looking for alternative sources of income?

Like, you could run your small internet business or something along with being in Japan. If you manage to make a thing like that and find some other revenue options, the whole living-in-Japan thing would be a lot easier, I guess.
Of course, it's not as easy as it sounds...

Shirow102
New in Town

Postby Shirow102 » October 25th, 2006 1:01 am

So having a goal to work as an animator for an anime house in Japan is practically nil to possibly in the negative percentage range?
Life is a pursuit for truth, where the journey is just as important as the end.

Kokoro no koe: kono Tenchi no koe desu.

Oh, Lord, let me be right, for as Ye well know, right or wrong, I will never change my mind.
-Old Scottish Prayer

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 25th, 2006 1:17 am

Shirow102 wrote:So having a goal to work as an animator for an anime house in Japan is practically nil to possibly in the negative percentage range?

You'd probably have to ask an animator.

optics
New in Town

Postby optics » November 15th, 2006 10:18 pm

Shirow102 wrote:So having a goal to work as an animator for an anime house in Japan is practically nil to possibly in the negative percentage range?

You would have to be extremely amazing. Sorry to sound negative, but it's really hard to break into the design/animation field in Japan.

You are better off going to conventions in the US and displaying your work. Get it out there.

A friend of mine got spotted by a Japanese company while she was at a convention in the US. She is now making a book for him, which will be launched this January. It may shine a little light of hope, but remember that the animation there is truly stylized, and a lot of manga artists do many years of apprenticing.

JoeyM
New in Town

My 2 cents

Postby JoeyM » November 22nd, 2006 2:16 am

Hey I stumbled across this thread and would like to chime in. Design is extremely crowded, but 3-d/motion graphics are actually the opposite and some firms are outsourcing a lot of that work to America now. I know people who have been flown out to Japan to do some 3-d work or worked at Japanese graphics companies with English interpreters.

There is a lot of opportunity for IT/programming work too. I have friends at Japanese companies that have more foreign coders than Japanese, and I work in IT with marginal Japanese skills (JLPT 3) after about a year and a half of eikaiwa work.

There is also recruiting, which is arguably evil and definitely not for everyone, but probably has the highest earnings potential of any job for foreigners. Proofreading, patent work, and translation jobs are out there too.

Who you know definitely helps, but if you really want to make it in Japan its entirely possible as long as you work hard, choose the right field, and/or get lucky.
* Family in Japan? Be part of Japan's First Family Network! Join the Piqniq at www.piqniq.jp *

JordanW
New in Town

Postby JordanW » December 2nd, 2006 2:00 pm

Thats great, since I want to be a programmer and also some graphics too, not to sure yet though. If its easier to get a programming job in Japan compared to other jobs then thats great, but lets say I happened to get a programming job for a company, how much would the salary be on average?

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » December 3rd, 2006 7:59 am

JordanW wrote:Thats great, since I want to be a programmer and also some graphics too, not to sure yet though. If its easier to get a programming job in Japan compared to other jobs then thats great, but lets say I happened to get a programming job for a company, how much would the salary be on average?

Try the links on this jpod forum page:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593

Just like anywhere else, it's highly dependent on your experience and the company you work for. No way to give an average.

bingo
New in Town

do you need a degree???

Postby bingo » April 9th, 2007 5:30 am

Is it true that to get a working visa to work legally there you must have a degree?? What if you have good language skills or previous living experience as an exchange student?

any creative ideas??

dmr214
Established Presence

Postby dmr214 » April 9th, 2007 6:56 am

JordanW wrote:Thats great, since I want to be a programmer and also some graphics too, not to sure yet though. If its easier to get a programming job in Japan compared to other jobs then thats great, but lets say I happened to get a programming job for a company, how much would the salary be on average?

If you work for a Japanese company as a programmer in general you will make around 6 million yen. (If the market is good).

dmr214
Established Presence

Re: Other common jobs in Japan for gaijin?

Postby dmr214 » April 9th, 2007 7:43 am

animate wrote:

A lot of people who do JET or AEON become headhunters working in Tokyo. It's not for everyone but it's a good start to getting into the business world.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”