Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

English teaching in Japan - somewhere rural!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

danni_shez
New in Town

English teaching in Japan - somewhere rural!

Postby danni_shez » June 28th, 2006 6:03 am

Hi there!
I'm curently doing a lot of research into teaching English in Japan. I've had a look at the big four (Jet, Nova, etc), but I'm more interested in going somewhere more rural. I really want to immerse myself in the Japanese culture, and don't really want to be in a big city (well, I don't particularly want to be in Tokyo). I don't know a lot about Japanese geography, so I'm not sure what areas I should be looking at...
I live in Australia, I have a Bachelor's degree... does anyone have any suggestions for schools I could apply to? Or an area of Japan that might suit me? Any thoughts are so appreciated :D

On a side note: LOVE the show! When I made the decision to go to Japan I went hunting for something that could help me pick up my Japanese again. This is definately it! It's so awesome. So thanks for providing such an amazing learning tool.

Ok I've said enough. Thanks!!

Danni
xo

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: English teaching in Japan - somewhere rural!

Postby Bueller_007 » June 28th, 2006 7:16 am

danni_shez wrote:Hi there!
I'm curently doing a lot of research into teaching English in Japan. I've had a look at the big four (Jet, Nova, etc), but I'm more interested in going somewhere more rural. I really want to immerse myself in the Japanese culture, and don't really want to be in a big city (well, I don't particularly want to be in Tokyo). I don't know a lot about Japanese geography, so I'm not sure what areas I should be looking at...
I live in Australia, I have a Bachelor's degree... does anyone have any suggestions for schools I could apply to? Or an area of Japan that might suit me? Any thoughts are so appreciated :D

On a side note: LOVE the show! When I made the decision to go to Japan I went hunting for something that could help me pick up my Japanese again. This is definately it! It's so awesome. So thanks for providing such an amazing learning tool.

Ok I've said enough. Thanks!!

Danni
xo

All of the "Big Four" (NOVA, ECC, GEOS, AEON) are basically the same. NOVA has the worst rep (for draconian policies). ECC seems to be made up of teachers who got fired from NOVA for dating students. AEON seems to be the most respectable of the lot. I don't know much about GEOS... Otherwise, there's Berlitz. Which pays well, but forces you to work irregular hours (I've heard.) After some time working for Berlitz, I've heard you can request a transfer to any other Berlitz in the world (if you have the appropriate teaching credentials).

All of the big schools (especially NOVA) are leaking students and teachers in a hurry. The exchange rate has gone to crap, so nobody wants to work in Japan, and all schools have cut back on their teaching hours (from 40 -> 34 or less) in order to avoid having to pay into the expensive Japanese social insurance program. Annual raises of more than $50/month are virtually unheard of. So the money isn't as good as it used to be. Berlitz Japan is having serious problems at the moment. As I recall, they had to file for bankruptcy protection last year.

You take your risks going with a smaller school. They're generally said to be more laid back, but, for example, there is a small school in Suita City, Osaka called "NYC School of English" that supposedly advertises for teachers HARD in the Melbourne area. You work 6 days a week, 8 hours a day, for ¥200,000/month. Garbage. Some schools won't pay you if your student can't come to a lesson (because she's sick, for example). Other small schools go belly-up and can't pay their teachers.

There are mixed reports about JET jobs. Some people complain about getting stuck out in the country in a school where none of the teachers will talk to them, and where the foreign teacher's only role is to function as a "living tape recorder" to help the Japanese students pronunciation. Otherwise, JET pay is quite respectable, the work is supposed to be easy, you get a bunch of holidays, etc. JET jobs are relatively hard to get. (Long application process, etc.)

Your best bet is probably to go through NOVA (getting a NOVA job is SIMPLE) and start looking for other work the second you get off the plane. Private students are the best source of income around, and English "pimp" companies, like Will Square, can set you up with tons of private students for ¥3000/hr. One important note for Aussies though: NOVA Australia doesn't do recruiting themselves: they hire a recruiting company to do it for them. You have to pay a big fee to the recruiting company ($300?) in order to get an interview with NOVA. (The interview basically guarantees you the job though, so long as you don't say "I don't want to work with children.")

Try these links for info about teaching in Japan. There are LOTS of bitter English teachers out there. The big companies aren't necessarily as bad as they say, but you should be aware that lots of people have very bad experiences teaching English in Japan.
http://www.gaijinpot.com/
http://www.letsjapan.org/

As for location, as an Aussie, you would probably appreciate Wakayama Prefecture (near Osaka & Nara). It's got beaches, mountains & hot springs. I've heard Wakayama City itself kinda sucks though. Otherwise, pretty much everywhere in Kyushu and Hokkaido is wonderful.

Get 40% OFF
danni_shez
New in Town

thanks!

Postby danni_shez » June 28th, 2006 8:36 am

Thanks bueller_007! That's just the advice I'm after. It's greatly appreciated. :D

xo

mari
New in Town

Postby mari » July 14th, 2006 2:06 pm

I was a JET in Okayama right after college. If you're not determined to be in a city, I would definitely recommend JET over any of the eikaiwa. The vacation time is awesome, it's great to be in an actual school rather than just a conversation school, they will pay your way to Japan and may subsidize your rent (mine was), and you will have the opportunity to live in a REALLY small town if that's what you want.

I would also recommend the area I was in as a pleasant place with friendly (sometimes too friendly) people, though the hot weather and my own experience nearly did me in. PM me and I would be happy to answer any more specific questions or put you in touch with a Japanese friend in the area who might be able to help you.

lucasburns
Been Around a Bit

Postby lucasburns » July 15th, 2006 9:30 am

I can't respond about any of the big four, but I am on JET in Osaka. I am one of the lucky ones to be in a city (in my eyes). Many people are stuck in the country side. That I think is the reason for the JET program. Busy cities have an easier time attracting foreigners to teach English, and the country can't get anyone. So the govt created JET. If you are after a quiet sedate life int he country, and learing about Japanese culture from a coutry perspective then JET is for you. You can join cultural clubs though in the cities, and learn the proper (or authentic, take your pick of words!) way of doing some cultural activities.

I think that the country would be good to live in for Japanese learning, but the cities are better for having access to a wider range of resources for cultural activities.

helen
Been Around a Bit

Postby helen » July 15th, 2006 11:39 am

I think you might as well apply for Jet because if you get a place then it probably would be better for you than the language schools with better pay and better holidays etc, and if you prefer not to be a big city then Jet is good because most of the places are rural. It seems harder to get a place on Jet than a job with Nova but you might as well give it a shot. I know people who have got onto Jet who haven't really got much interest in Japanese or in teaching, so you if you have those things then you're ahead of a lot of people already.

If unfortunately you don't get a place, then you can still apply to the other schools at any time so I say go for it with Jet :D

I think you must have missed the Jet deadline for this year though, but I'm not certain about that.

Btw if you want to look at a small rural school you might like the look of this place - http://www.jesjapan.com/ - in Northern Japan

Btw I haven't taught in Japan yet myself (I'm still at uni) so I only know what I've read or heard from friends.

Good luck!

danni_shez
New in Town

Thanks!

Postby danni_shez » July 27th, 2006 12:01 pm

Thankyou so much to lucasburns and helen for your responses! I really appreciate your suggestions! :D

kareman
New in Town

Postby kareman » September 22nd, 2006 9:38 am

Hey, I know this is an old thread, and the many benefits of the JET programme have already been espoused, but as a current JET living in a rural area of northern Honshu, I wanted to add my two cents. I won't repeat what everyone said, but with the sole exception of city living (which is over-rated in my opinion), JET is by far and away the best way to get your foot in the door to live and work in Japan. The fact that you want to live in a rural area stands you in good stead- most people opt to be in one of the more well known urban centres. If you specifically request an out of the way location, you're pretty much guaranteed to get it. My girlfriend and I requested Iwate, Aomori and Akita as our three choices, and were placed in a small town in Akita prefecture. Because we went against the flow, we were also placed together, which is practically unheard of (many couples get engaged in order to be placed together, and even then are frequently placed in different prefectures), so can split the already significantly cheaper cost of living. The lifestyle's great (world-class snowboarding on our doorsteps), the people are friendly, gaijin are a novelty and therefore treated like royalty, and the shizen is definitely ippai. The deadline for next year's programme is December the somethingth, and I would definitely recommend this as the best Japanese experience.

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Postby lulu_chan » October 9th, 2006 6:39 pm

[quote="Bueller_007]
Your best bet is probably to go through NOVA (getting a NOVA job is SIMPLE) and start looking for other work the second you get off the plane. Private students are the best source of income around, and English "pimp" companies, like Will Square, can set you up with tons of private students for ¥3000/hr. One important note for Aussies though: NOVA Australia doesn't do recruiting themselves: they hire a recruiting company to do it for them. You have to pay a big fee to the recruiting company ($300?) in order to get an interview with NOVA. (The interview basically guarantees you the job though, so long as you don't say "I don't want to work with children.")
.[/quote]

hey bueller, new here..been on the site for a while...just not on the forums. I am soo intriqued by the private teaching. So, do you have to be with one of the big four first, before getting to teach a private company. I have friends who have worked for two out of the big four (and friends who have worked for Jet) and it's definitely on an individual-opinion. My friends seem to enjoy it. But, i am soo interested in finding out more about the private tutoring. I do that now, in the states, part-time. Well, it's more bartering. i teach them english in exchange for Japanese.. ^____^

any more info or suggestions would be great! i'll check the links out to! THANKS SO MUCH!!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 9th, 2006 11:27 pm

You don't *have* to start with one of the big private companies, but generally speaking, they are the only ones who will provide visa sponsorship to people living overseas. Smaller schools generally require you to be already living in Japan with a valid work visa when you apply. If things work out, they may be willing to sponsor you for visa renewal.

That's why it's not uncommon for people to get their visa (and relatively cheap flight to Japan) by getting a job with NOVA, and then dumping them to work elsewhere after they arrive.

Alternately, if you're not from America, you can probably get a working holiday visa, come to Japan, and try to find work at a smaller school after you arrive. Self-sponsorship for visas is also possible, but I've heard the conditions are quite stringent.

The English-teaching industry is hurting pretty bad now. NOVA has closed a bunch of schools in Osaka, and working hours and salaries have dropped at all schools. The crappy exchange rate doesn't help matters much either.

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Postby lulu_chan » October 10th, 2006 3:45 pm

buller, thank you soo much for this. I would really love to live and work in Japan. This information really helps.

also, out of curiousity...you think NOVA is starting to shut down because of the bad wrap it gets? or, is there not as big an interest of learning english in japan?

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 10th, 2006 11:31 pm

All the schools are in trouble, not just NOVA. I'm not really sure, why, but I'd put it down to the fact that the market is extremely saturated and they've been getting bad press for dodging payments into Japan's social welfare program.

Also, the lessons are expensive for what you get, and the teachers are by-and-large a joke. The "learning value" is extremely questionable. If I were Japanese, there's no chance in hell that I would study English at an eikaiwa.

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Postby lulu_chan » October 15th, 2006 4:52 pm

Bueller,

Thanks so much for the insight. So, i guess the best bet is to just go with a school...then get the heck out of it and go the private route. ^___~

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » October 16th, 2006 2:42 am

lulu_chan wrote:Bueller,

Thanks so much for the insight. So, i guess the best bet is to just go with a school...then get the heck out of it and go the private route. ^___~

As others have said, if you're not in a particular hurry to get to Japan, you can try the JET program.

lulu_chan
Been Around a Bit

Postby lulu_chan » October 16th, 2006 7:10 pm

yeh. I have heard of the JET programme. THough, it seems i missed the deadline for it. I think there is one in april, too.

And, you are right, JET gives you more time..but, it's also much harder to get into. ^^;;
especially if you want to be in a bigger city.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”