Or sign up using Facebook

Transporting vs buying a guitar in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

newobsorder
New in Town

Transporting vs buying a guitar in Japan

Postby newobsorder » April 28th, 2008 10:35 am

Hello everyone,

I will be working for a full year in Japan starting October the 1st and would like to have a guitar over there, do you know if the prices are correct compared to Europe or USA?

The second choice is to bring one by plane... but the guitar I wanna bring is quite expensive and there's no way I put it in the plane's hold! I heard of some companies where the stewardesses are kind enough if you have a soft-case which don't take too much space to keep it in their room. Mind to tell me which company it is? :-)

Thank you for your advices!

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » April 28th, 2008 12:05 pm

everything is a bit more expensive over here. and unlike in the US, there's no haggling.

i buy my gear here:

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Get 40% OFF
Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » April 29th, 2008 12:57 am

Really? A westerner I knew in Japan (excellent Japanese speaker) told me he had haggled successfully on the price a DVD player he bought in Akihabara. It might not be easy but I can't imagine it's impossible so long as you have a certain command of the language.

Still, by-and-by things are more expensive (especially clothing-- yikes), so don't expect to find any deals.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » April 29th, 2008 6:12 am

ohhhh, akihabara is different. i'm by no means an expert on the topic, but i think you can only do that at the very small computer parts/home electronics shops. if you go to a chain, the prices should be fixed.

are there music shops in akiba?
Last edited by markystar on April 29th, 2008 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » April 29th, 2008 6:15 am

i just answered my own question. lol.

ikebe has a shop in akihabara
http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/realshop/rev ... /index.php

but this is a pretty famous chain too.

i just asked my friend masanori who produces for avex, he told me he's never heard of haggling at a music shop. he said if you buy directly from an individual it might be possible but he never tried. :D

i guess it wouldn't hurt to try, the worst that can happen is they'll say no.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

JonB
Expert on Something

believe it or not

Postby JonB » May 1st, 2008 12:55 am

you can haggle just about anywhere - but helps if you are a local I suspect, I know my wife haggles on just about everything. If nothing else I am sure she would get a free case thrown in...

I've never bought a musical instrument but if you go to ochanomizu there are loads of guitar shops and I would be very surprised if you can not pick up a bargain there. I would imagine that you could also find second hand traded in instruments in some of the places

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » May 1st, 2008 1:03 am

you can haggle just about anywhere

really? i'd like to know more about this. because of psy's post, i asked more people about it and the resounding answer was no. this is a bit of a shocker for me. (but as i said before, i'm not experienced in this area.) what kind of places does your wife haggle?
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » May 1st, 2008 1:05 am

If you choose to bring it with you, you might consider investing in a high quality metal flight case like these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigati ... t+case&st=

It might be expensive, but you might also could ship it to yourself.

This is actually an issue I might be facing myself in the near future. I really don't want to have to sell and rebuy my guitars or something.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » May 2nd, 2008 5:59 am

markystar wrote:
you can haggle just about anywhere

really? i'd like to know more about this. because of psy's post, i asked more people about it and the resounding answer was no. this is a bit of a shocker for me. (but as i said before, i'm not experienced in this area.) what kind of places does your wife haggle?

We're building a house at the moment - haggles on everything. When buying elctrical items she always haggles - sometimes the price comes down, sometimes extra points and sometimes a freebie like a camera case.

Also haggled in furniture shops, car show rooms, bicycle shop, travel agents - the list goes on. She does not always get anywhere but never takes things at face value.

She does not haggle per se I suppose but always asks "is that your best price". And I know J housewives that go much further than her...

If you don't ask, you don't get

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » May 2nd, 2008 7:26 am

wow. it's the first time i've heard about it. great!! :D
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Re: believe it or not

Postby Shaydwyrm » May 2nd, 2008 9:07 am

JonB wrote:I've never bought a musical instrument but if you go to ochanomizu there are loads of guitar shops and I would be very surprised if you can not pick up a bargain there. I would imagine that you could also find second hand traded in instruments in some of the places

There are a number of shops in ochanomizu devoted entirely to used instruments - if you walk into a store and it's all new, just ask a clerk about used (中古 ちゅうこ) stuff and they'll likely point you to their other store that sells used across the street.

From my shopping experience, the prices did tend to be substantially higher than what I remember from the US. I bought used, and I got a small discount and some free accessories (strap, picks, etc; soft case was already included) using my JLPT level 2.6 skills.

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » May 4th, 2008 6:23 am

本当に勉強になりました
and now i feel like i've paid to much for everthing.

3 japanese friends told me you can haggle in big electronics shops too, like Bic Camera.

can't wait to try it out! :hachimaki:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

cliang78
New in Town

Postby cliang78 » May 4th, 2008 11:42 am

So they won't allow you to bring your guitar as a carry-on? I'd like to bring my guitar over as well when I go over and I was under the impression that this was allowable (in the gig bag as opposed to the hard case)

elau1986
Been Around a Bit

Postby elau1986 » May 19th, 2008 2:51 am

I would just get one over there ! :D

I'm a guitar player too, and Japanese makes some of the best instruments out there, that you can't get outside the country.

so instead of carrying it all the way, why not just get one when you go there :D

aehlke
New in Town

Postby aehlke » June 12th, 2008 2:09 pm

My Japanese host brother a few years ago got a cheap guitar made in Korea or China. If you don't need something really nice, you should look into cheap imports in Japan.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”