a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

problem with flight/legal issues with looking for job

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

madigan82
New in Town

problem with flight/legal issues with looking for job

Postby madigan82 » March 26th, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm planning on moving to Japan. I've been in contact with a recruitment firm for IT work. Problem is I bought a one way ticket (I'm hard headed and believe in myself). I was looking at the airline's site and it had info on requirements for immigration. I knew you didn't need a visit to stay for less than 90 days. What I didn't know was that you needed to hold return or onward ticket and all documents required for next destination.

Should the recruitment firm be able to sponsor me for a work visa and if not, could I just say I'm planning to purchase a returning flight once I'm out of money?

JonB
Expert on Something

tricky one

Postby JonB » March 27th, 2008 12:55 am

I don't think a recruitment firm will sponsor a work visa - but worth an ask. But if you are coming in on a 90 day waiver you should have an onward flight though I don't recall them eve asking to see the documentation - but the last time I cam in that way was 8 years ago.

Everything is getting stricter these days and if you blow it on your first entry it will make getting a work visa harder...

If you get an open return but have the initial return booked for 90 days won't that work? As long as the airline will let you change it. After all you may want to go home and pick up some stuff as it would be a bit suspicious if you entered the country with all your suites etc :lol:

Get 40% OFF
Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » March 27th, 2008 8:44 am

Not wanting to burst any bubbles here, but I strongly advise against that plan of action. As hardheaded as you may be, a foreigner in Japan approaching work on nothing but a landing permit is just asking for trouble. When I travelled in '06 I was required to log my outgoing flight on the immigration form, and while I did get through customs quickly the form was scrutinized and I was asked about my intentions for visiting the country. Even at that time, according to foreign workers I met there, it's bad news to be looking at employment without the proper documentation. Foreign labor is strictly controlled, and doing anything not permissible by your visa is enough to get you deported. Considering in the following years security measures have been beefed up, it'd be a good idea to have all of your paper in order before you get on the plane, because unless you're departing from continental Asia, the flight will leave you exhausted.

I'm sure markystar or someone can back me up on this one: documents are important in Japan.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » March 27th, 2008 11:51 am

It's not just Japan, it's usually not a good idea to attempt to enter a foreign country with a one way ticket.

I've never been asked for my return documentation, but if push comes to shove, if you cannot produce proof that you intend to leave, you are just asking for trouble.

Try to make your stay as hassle free as you can by doing things the proper way.
お茶漬け海苔

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » March 28th, 2008 2:15 pm

I'm glad I read this thread. I was planning on a one way ticket and then buying a return when I knew exactly what date I wanted to leave (within the lawful time of course). I don't think I'll be doing that now. :)

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » April 1st, 2008 3:08 pm

will they let you off the plane with a one way ticket and no permanent residence status?
i'd be very surprised if the customs people would let anyone in like that, actually.

if i remember correctly, if you come for 90 days, you're on a tourist visa which, if i'm not mistaken, requires a ticket out of the country. otherwise, how do they know you'll ever leave?

my visa wasn't issued when i came over here the first time, but i can't remember if i had to buy a round trip ticket and just throw it away after getting the visa... it's only been a few years, but i'm hazy on this one. but just as Psy said, there's some paperwork you fill out at customs and it asks where you will be staying and when you will be leaving. people who have resident status fill out a different form. so that leads me to believe i just threw away my return ticket.

i'm more familiar with the renewal process and status change process than the initial entrance one, since i've only entered the country without resident status twice and that was awhile ago.

on a (comical) side note, i knew a guy who came over on a tourist visa from the US. and stayed for 90 days doing freelance web design work over the internet. at the end of 90 days he headed to korea or china or something and came back a week later as a tourist. he pulled this off about 4 times in 2005-2006. on the 5th time they were like, "why do you have all these continuous back to back stamps on your passport? how are you supporting yourself?" he would have been facing deportation and a ban from the country for some time. i'm not sure how he got out of it, but he's still here (but working under legal visa status.) :shock:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » April 1st, 2008 6:30 pm

markystar wrote:on a (comical) side note, i knew a guy who came over on a tourist visa from the US. and stayed for 90 days doing freelance web design work over the internet. at the end of 90 days he headed to korea or china or something and came back a week later as a tourist. he pulled this off about 4 times in 2005-2006. on the 5th time they were like, "why do you have all these continuous back to back stamps on your passport? how are you supporting yourself?" he would have been facing deportation and a ban from the country for some time. i'm not sure how he got out of it, but he's still here (but working under legal visa status.) :shock:

I've heard about people doing this. He's lucky-- from my understanding you can usually get away with it once, but customs gets really suspicious after that. Personally when it comes to the Japanese legal system, I prefer to keep my nose under the radar.
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » April 1st, 2008 8:27 pm

In Hong Kong it's really easy to do the multiple entry thing by daytripping to Macau....Of course I'm not I'm talking from personal experience or anything. :lol:
お茶漬け海苔

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » April 7th, 2008 4:19 pm

I have a friend who's been here since November on a tourist visa, who just came back into Japan on the 2nd half of a round trip ticket (Tokyo-Bali holiday). No problems at all, even with the stamp on his last tourist visa that said "Final Extension" in big red letters.

Though, I wouldn't risk it, personally. Not if you really want to live in Japan.

My suggestion would be to buy a ticket to Korea from Tokyo. That way, you have proof of onward travel and if the job works out you can apply for your Japanese visa there (faster and easier).

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » May 20th, 2008 8:26 am

If you come in on a student visa (generally) do you need a return ticket when you enter?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » May 20th, 2008 12:19 pm

@jkid
maybe not

The best place to ask is the embassy or consulate you go to to get your certificate of eligibility. Assuming you don't have any plans in conflict with Japan's visa rules.
(btw student visas are ineligible for Rail Pass I think.)

If it's a matter of saving money, you might not make a saving.
Admittedly not on a flight to Japan, recently I was checking out airfares. Using the exact same outward flight a return ticket was cheaper than a single way. (by about 2/3 in this case!) You could also check what the cost of an open ticket is compared to single tickets. But then I can never see how airlines prices work.

-- from Japanese Embassy London website--
on visa waivers (the usual 90 day stamp for countries like the US, UK, Ireland etc that have reciprocal visa arrangements)
-----
On entry to Japan a traveller should possess a fixed-date, confirmed return or onward journey ticket, and any supporting documents which can serve as evidence of the purpose of the trip (such as conference details, details of the host organisation etc). Furthermore, a traveller may be asked to show evidence of sufficient funds for the proposed period of stay in the country.
-----

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”