a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Tricky situation!! Any advice?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Lexy
New in Town

Tricky situation!! Any advice?

Postby Lexy » February 10th, 2008 4:32 pm

Hello everyone! I wonder if anyone out there can help me. As many of people here i would love to go and live in Japan for a while, but i m not made of money, so the only option is a working holiday of sorts. It would have been reletively easy, with the JET programme in place and all those wonderfull agencies that employ people to teach in English in Japan. I am a perfect candidate on all the bullet points (bachelor's degree(well, almost), good command of english, speaking and writing... and reading!, great desire to learn, huge interest in culture, ability to adapt etc), except one: although i am a permanent resident in the UK, i never got around to naturalising and now it costs so much i just cant afford it!!!

Any ideas as to what to do?! I would really apreciate it!!!!

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » February 10th, 2008 9:35 pm

The foreigner tax in the UK has gotten very high. Probably because they have no voice to complain about it. 溜め息

I think you have to apply for the JET programme in your country of origin / citizenship. and be interviewed there. There doesn't seem to be any way around this.

Unfortunately if you are from a non-English speaking country they are unlikely to have a JET program. although 44 countries do have JET programs.

http://www.jetprogramme.org/index.html

Your next option is direct application to English schools in Japan.

Get 40% OFF
Lexy
New in Town

Postby Lexy » February 13th, 2008 9:15 am

Belton wrote:The foreigner tax in the UK has gotten very high. Probably because they have no voice to complain about it. 溜め息

I think you have to apply for the JET programme in your country of origin / citizenship. and be interviewed there. There doesn't seem to be any way around this.

Unfortunately if you are from a non-English speaking country they are unlikely to have a JET program. although 44 countries do have JET programs.

http://www.jetprogramme.org/index.html

Your next option is direct application to English schools in Japan.

Thank you, yes, i ve looked into this too, but i have an Estonian passport, and Estonia is not in the programme yet, but even if it was, one of the conditions is being fluent in the language of the country you represent, and i do not speak a word :( I speak fluent Russian, but again, no passport :(

So you think a school will take someone English speaking on even if they are not native English speaker? I thought that was a visa requirement...?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » February 13th, 2008 12:45 pm

So you think a school will take someone English speaking on even if they are not native English speaker? I thought that was a visa requirement...?

I don't know. The only people I know working at English schools in Japan are English. (And I don't know many of them.)
You've nothing to lose by asking/ enquiring about jobs.

That said I'd imagine there are rather a lot of native speaking people that can apply for those jobs. And I think the employers preference (and students) would be for a native speaker.

you've probably already looked into the visa regulations but for others
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html

(I often wish I could figure out a way to get to Japan as a resident myself!)

It's difficult. I wish you luck. 頑張ってね

Lexy
New in Town

Postby Lexy » February 13th, 2008 4:30 pm

I don't know. The only people I know working at English schools in Japan are English. (And I don't know many of them.)
You've nothing to lose by asking/ enquiring about jobs.

That said I'd imagine there are rather a lot of native speaking people that can apply for those jobs. And I think the employers preference (and students) would be for a native speaker.

you've probably already looked into the visa regulations but for others
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/index.html

(I often wish I could figure out a way to get to Japan as a resident myself!)

It's difficult. I wish you luck. 頑張ってね

Hmm, by the looks of things i ll have to resort to plan B and pimp out my boyfriend to teach English :D whilst working in a restaurant or something. But thank you for the visa regulation link, i need to look at it properly.

Oh i dont want to move to Japan forever, just for maybe 3-6 months, but never sat never.

Thanks for your replies again

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”