Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

japanese educational system (and other countries)

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Yoshiko
Established Presence

japanese educational system (and other countries)

Postby Yoshiko » March 30th, 2007 1:44 pm

I was just listening to Culture Class 11, 'graduation'. Peter said he'd like to know about education systems in other countries. I'd also like to know :)
But first japan's educational system. Some things I wondered about:

Is it true that classes are not divided in levels? Like in elementary school?
I always hear about university, but what if you are not that smart?
Are the examinations for everybody the same? (So if you have let's say 100% the right answers, you can study at Todai and if you have 20% you can study to be a gardener, something like that... :roll: )
What about this fabulous discipline? So if you walk into a class (highschool) as a new teacher, they won't try to make your life a misery? (then I have found a job for my old math teacher)

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » March 31st, 2007 12:14 am

They do divide classes by abilities in some subjects at some schools. In the city I was working in at one jhs the english classes had a few levels, at my school they didn't.

But it's not to the same degree it is in the States where students take completely different courses.

Discipline... it's odd here. Again it depends on the school. But, it seems that students get called out for completely different things than they would in the States. (Like the kid who brought an MP3 player to school. He was yelled at by 2 or 3 teachers for about 40 minutes. By the end they were criticizing his hair, how his shirt wasn't ironed, and how one of his pant legs was sticking into his sock.)

Get 40% OFF
Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » April 4th, 2007 1:27 pm

For bringing an MP3 player to school? :roll: In Holland a teacher has nothing to say about clothing. There are no uniforms.
There are also lots of levels in school. And in all levels you can choose different subjects. quite the contrary of japan

atomsk
Site Admin

Postby atomsk » April 8th, 2007 8:48 pm

in germany all kids go to elementary school together. that are 4 years. then there are 3 different levels of schools. there is the posibility to switch schools, but this rarely happens. i think this whole system is stupid. especially since you have to graduate from the highest level to be allowed into university directly.

check this out, the oecd compares school systems: http://oberon.sourceoecd.org/vl=2854924 ... -01-01.htm
japan seems to have one of the best school systems. germany doesnt look very good there and those "PISA tests" are a big topic in germany, its like a scandal. the teachers are the biggest loosers in this, they have all the parents against them ^^

what i like about japanese schools are the clubs. in germany musical education and sports are organized outside schools. school is normally out at 1pm and the kids go home. many just hang around and do nothing, not all parents care about what their kids do after school, or they cant pay for music school or sports clubs. you dont have that problem in japan i think.

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”