Or sign up using Facebook

What US phones that can be use in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

What US phones that can be use in Japan

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 9th, 2007 7:26 pm

Hey Mina,

I didnt know where to ask this question, so I poped it in here.

Heres my question: what phones is best to use when in Japan?

I know all phones use GSM, but I was wondering if I can use a phone from the states in Japan. Or should I get a SIM card from Japan and do it that way.

I some idea where I am going with this, but some inside information would be most greatful.

Doumo Mina

Chansu

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: What US phones that can be use in Japan

Postby Bueller_007 » February 10th, 2007 4:36 am

laughinghyena21 wrote:I know all phones use GSM

Don't know where you heard this, but it's untrue. For 2gen cell-phone technology, Japan doesn't run GSM. It runs PDC. A SIM card would be useless, and since I think most phones here are locked down, they wouldn't let you put one in anyway.

If you want to have a working American phone in Japan, you need a 3G phone (using a protocol that is deployed in Japan), and your phone company has to have overseas contracts to allow you connect to the 3G networks in Japan. You also have to be willing to pay through the rear end for international fees. I was paying something like $.80/SMS when I used my Japanese phone in Thailand.

Just get a Japanese one.

Get 40% OFF
laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Re: What US phones that can be use in Japan

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 14th, 2007 4:41 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:
laughinghyena21 wrote:I know all phones use GSM

Don't know where you heard this, but it's untrue. For 2gen cell-phone technology, Japan doesn't run GSM. It runs PDC. A SIM card would be useless, and since I think most phones here are locked down, they wouldn't let you put one in anyway.

If you want to have a working American phone in Japan, you need a 3G phone (using a protocol that is deployed in Japan), and your phone company has to have overseas contracts to allow you connect to the 3G networks in Japan. You also have to be willing to pay through the rear end for international fees. I was paying something like $.80/SMS when I used my Japanese phone in Thailand.

Just get a Japanese one.

Sorry about that, you are right. (some phones here in the states use GSM) I was unaware about the different methods in Japan and I was unaware that the network over there dont use SIM cards.

I was thinking about just doing that (getting a japanese phone)

Once again Doumo

Tom
Established Presence

Postby Tom » February 14th, 2007 5:21 pm

The Japan National Tourist Organization's page on telephone and postal services has this to say (emphasis mine):

Now you can use your mobile phone number in Japan using SoftBank Mobile and NTT DoCoMo's 3G (3rd generation) service areas. Simply bring your own SIM card and insert it to a rental phone or your own 3G handset. For more details, please check with your local mobile phone service provider or SoftBank Mobile or NTT DoCoMo. Rental phone service is also available. You can find rental shops at Narita Airport and Kansai Airport.

Contact information for rental phone companies (and other things) are just below that.
By the way, I made it to Japan

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 14th, 2007 6:57 pm

Doumo onegainshimasu

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 12th, 2007 11:04 pm

Tom wrote:The Japan National Tourist Organization's page on telephone and postal services has this to say (emphasis mine):

Now you can use your mobile phone number in Japan using SoftBank Mobile and NTT DoCoMo's 3G (3rd generation) service areas. Simply bring your own SIM card and insert it to a rental phone or your own 3G handset. For more details, please check with your local mobile phone service provider or SoftBank Mobile or NTT DoCoMo. Rental phone service is also available. You can find rental shops at Narita Airport and Kansai Airport.

Contact information for rental phone companies (and other things) are just below that.

Thank you for that information is very useful for my mobile! 8) :wink:

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 22nd, 2007 9:47 am

Be aware that Japan has changed their rules for foreigners getting cell phones. If you're going on vacation, then you can rent a phone at the local airport. If you're moving there, then you have to show proof (gaijin card) that you belong in Japan.

Your employer may have to get a phone on your behalf until you are eligible.

Steve Bryant
New in Town

Postby Steve Bryant » June 18th, 2007 8:17 am

You can buy the Motorola v980 in the US (ebay has them fairly cheap) and it works fine in Japan. However, the international roaming was fairly expensive. I think it was something like over a dollar a minute (using Cingular).

Steve

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”