Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Foreign Professors at Japanese Universities?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

SteveG
New in Town

Foreign Professors at Japanese Universities?

Postby SteveG » January 24th, 2007 10:27 pm

Hello Everyone,
I was hoping that those of you who have spent some time studying at colleges and universities in Japan could comment on the prevalence of foreign professors. The reason I ask is that I am considering doing my PhD work in Japan and am interested in the possibility of staying in Japan to teach a subject other than English after receiving my degree. Specifically I would be interested in teaching engineering classes as that is my field of study.

I did notice a couple of foreign names on the faculty list for the school of engineering at the University of Tokyo, so foreign professors apparently do exist in the technical fields, but I am not sure just how rare / prevalent they are. I know that here in the USA a huge percentage of the professors in the engineering fields are foreign.

Any information that you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steve

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » January 25th, 2007 2:15 am

There are a lot of schools that have degree programs taught entirely in English.

I doubt you'd ever be able to find a job teaching in Japanese, because there are plenty of Japanese citizens who are qualified to do that.

At least a few years ago it was impossible for a non-Japanese citizen to get tenured/permanent contract at a Unversity, though I think I read that they changed that law.
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”