a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Good source for example sentences

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jbraswell
Been Around a Bit

Good source for example sentences

Postby jbraswell » November 3rd, 2009 3:18 pm

Whether you use Anki, some other SRS, or something else entirely, if you're interested in a new source for (what I think are) often hard-to-translate sentences, check out 「マーフィーの法則で英語耳」, i.e., Murphy's Law's. I picked it up in Japan, and it's a book aimed at Japanese people learning English.

It's kind of expensive because it comes with a CD of all the laws stated in English (not much value for us), but I still think it's worth it. It contains lots of sentences that, although when rendered in proper Japanese aren't that complicated, definitely seem foreboding when you first try to say them, often due to the presence of quantifiers and comparatives/superlatives. Some are short, e.g., "Nothing is ever so bad that it can't get worse", and others are pretty long, e.g., "To estimate the time it takes to do a task, estimate the time you think it should take, multiply by two and change the unit of measure to the next highest unit. Thus, we allocate two days for a one-hour task."

Just a thought.

zonjineko
New in Town

Postby zonjineko » November 9th, 2009 4:12 am

A great (free) site for example sentences is http://tangorin.com/examples

I use the site quite often for it's multi-radical kanji finder but the example sentences are very useful for anyone who learns well that way.

Works great to grab a few examples to use in Anki or whatever SRS you use.

Get 40% OFF
jonwaller
New in Town

Postby jonwaller » May 5th, 2010 12:13 am

fuwafuwa
New in Town

Postby fuwafuwa » July 2nd, 2010 11:13 pm

You can many many examples from http://www.alc.co.jp/. I think tanos also took the example from there.

jkerianjapanesepod5596
New in Town

Postby jkerianjapanesepod5596 » April 27th, 2012 8:40 pm

Does anyone know of a good RSS feed for something like a "word of the day", with reasonably complex japanese words, example sentences, AND translations of at least the word?

rshiplett
Established Presence

sentences

Postby rshiplett » May 4th, 2012 2:29 pm

thanks

rshiplett
Established Presence

Firefox Kanji plugin alternative

Postby rshiplett » May 4th, 2012 2:33 pm

I am now using Perapera as it has a few useful options and I like its behavior (they are also working on a Chrome version and ask for Beta testers)

rshiplett
Established Presence

Tangorin site

Postby rshiplett » May 6th, 2012 3:55 pm

I also like the tangorin site for simple sentences. It is too bad that there is no Japanese equivalent to simple.wikipedia.org

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”