Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

"My Japanese Coach" just released for the Nintendo

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » October 29th, 2008 11:19 pm

wccrawford wrote:(iKnow.co.jp is the other main tool that I would point at for this. Scanning through 10 items in a few seconds to find a particular answer tends to help you improve a bit.)

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but what exactly is iKnow? Is it basically spaced repetition vocab learning, or is there more to it than that?

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » October 30th, 2008 12:38 am

Taurus wrote:This probably isn't the right place to ask, but what exactly is iKnow? Is it basically spaced repetition vocab learning, or is there more to it than that?

Yeah, but it has a nice interface as well, plus a some 'community' features. The main thing they bring right now is the interface and lots of vocab.

I'm really beginner at Japanese, so it's been a great help to me already, and I'm not even done with the first 200 vocab.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » October 30th, 2008 4:43 pm

Taurus-san,

This video: http://www.iknow.co.jp/intro/overview/ gives a nice overview of the site features.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » October 30th, 2008 6:31 pm

Arigatou!

ellywirda
New in Town

Postby ellywirda » November 27th, 2008 1:15 am

my first post.... still browsing through this forum...

currently taking japanese class... and doing the DS thing.. and self learning (slowly)through "colloqial japanese" book....

someone said that the verb bases method taught in the DS is confusing....

what is the best/right way to learn it....? any links/ url..? TIA

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » November 27th, 2008 1:59 am

I just got confused when the verb forms were referred to as base 1, or base 2 or whatever. I think it makes much more sense to refer to the -masu form, or the dictionary form, or the -te form - because you know from each of those names what the form is.

Having tried a couple of textbooks, I think the Minna no Nihongo series, from 3A Networks, is a really good introduction to Japanese, and I think it follows a fairly logical order. It starts off with the -masu form, so that you can immediately start communicating with strangers, then on to the -te form, then the dictionary form and so on.

I think other people on here think it's absurd to start with anything other than the dictionary form and I can understand that perspective (it is a little bit counter-intuitive to work back from the -masu form of a word to get to the dictionary form), but I think each approach has advantages and disadvantages.

ShiroiNeko
Established Presence

Serious flaw ?

Postby ShiroiNeko » November 27th, 2008 10:44 am

The font size is so small as to make some hiragana and kanji very, very difficult to read.

Ten ten and maru are difficult to tell apart
The two top lines on き are so close they look like one thick line
The horizontal lines on に are so different in thickness I initially could not identify what it was !!
Kanji - some of the more complex ones appear like an random ink blob.

This problem spoils an otherwise reasonable product.

Is anyone else having trouble with the fonts used?

FierceCat :kitty: oo00OO ( Grr...Ffttt )

stevesayskanpai
Been Around a Bit

Postby stevesayskanpai » December 10th, 2008 3:55 am

What spoils this product is that theres no way to skip levels, so even an intermediate learner will have to spend hours getting to a point where he can actually learn something!

The programmer claims theres a cheat- but to be helpful won't tell us what it is. If anyone does find out what it is please post it!

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”