a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

My Japanese Coach

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Droogie
New in Town

My Japanese Coach

Postby Droogie » September 4th, 2008 10:52 pm

Did a quick search and couldn't find this so sorry if it has been posted already. Most Nintendo DS owners probably know about Ubisoft's 'My Coach' series, which has to date included games to learn French, Spanish and recently Chinese Mandarin. Luckily for us the Japanese version is launched in a few weeks time, and having myself very briefly played the Chinese version it seems like a useful tool for beginners especially. There hasn't (at least to my knowledge) been a full details release, so no idea if it's pitched at specific JLPT levels or a format more akin to JPod's, but I'm sure people like me who have been learning less than a year and are looking at JLPT4 will get the most out of it. I'll post again once I've played it and let everyone know if it's any good, but in the meantime look out for any news!

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » September 4th, 2008 11:00 pm

I'm very much looking forward to it! I don't expect it will be aimed at JLPT or anything, though. I'm sure they'll cover the basics first, which will help, anyhow.

I bought the French and Spanish ones, and I'm probably going to buy the Chinese one as well. (And any others they make in the future.) Spanish I knew a little, and it seemed to be doing a good job teaching it. French I knew not at all, and I seemed to be learning pretty well from it. I stopped them to concentrate on Japanese, though.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
WalterWills
Expert on Something

Postby WalterWills » September 6th, 2008 1:35 pm

I've heard about that game! I read about it on the internet.

I woke up one morning thinking about how great it would be to finally have a Japanese-teaching game, but I couldn't remember if I actually read about or I had just dreamed about it!!

But, if it's for beginners I might not buy it. I'm definitely going to look into it though, to see what range of grammar and vocab it teaches.

wccrawford
Expert on Something

Postby wccrawford » September 6th, 2008 2:48 pm

It's for beginners and up. The first thing it will do is test you on your current knowledge. Once you miss 3 in a row, it'll put you at that level and start training you.

As I said before, it worked really well in Spanish for me. And I think the JP one has like 10,000 vocab... That's a lot no matter who you are.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”