Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Good Grammar Overview for Beginners?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » June 13th, 2008 4:00 am

However, I think that Japanese uses these forms more than we do in English. Does anyone else agree?

in latin "volitional" refers to a different grammatical structure than in japanese.

i've never heard of an english volitional form, but if you say an english verb is volitional, it means it's a verb expressing want/desire.

want to, would like to, will, hope to, desire to, wish, etc.

this use is quite different from the japanese volitional.
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » June 13th, 2008 4:03 am

markystar wrote:
However, I think that Japanese uses these forms more than we do in English. Does anyone else agree?

in latin "volitional" refers to a different grammatical structure than in japanese.

i've never heard of an english volitional form, but if you say an english verb is volitional, it means it's a verb expressing want/desire.

want to, would like to, will, hope to, desire to, wish, etc.

this use is quite different from the japanese volitional.

Markystar! Aha! Just as I suspected! Japanese uses some different verb forms that we don't have. So, it's not just that we don't know our English grammar very well (hey, well, maybe we don't, actually, hahaha!)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
johnpa
Been Around a Bit

Postby johnpa » June 13th, 2008 5:36 pm

Taurus wrote:if you're looking for entertaining, informative books about the Japanese language, you could try Jay Rubin's Making Sense of Japanese - he's the guy who translates a lot of Haruki Murakami's novels into English, and he recently worked on the Xbox 360 game, Lost Odyssey.)

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Haruki Murakami is probably my biggest motivation for getting into Japanese. His translator must be a very talented person in his own right. I'll have to check that book out.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » June 14th, 2008 2:22 am

It's definitely worth checking out. A lot of it went right over my head, but a lot of it didn't and it's so well written that it's very entertaining and, a bit like japanesepod, the enthusiasm for the language is infectious.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”